Realisation

1
Elvira carried her laptop to the windowsill and had a seat in it. The water in the glass in her other hand, almost lashed over the edge. "Ho, shit," she mumbled and placed down the glass on the ground. 

"Careful," Andy laughed when he saw the situation happening. "Walk twice, not once and drop your stuff."

"Nah," she snorted and looked at her laptop screen; her two brothers were sitting in front of their computer in Perth. "Walk once saves you time," she winked.

Since Elvira and Lukas had that phone call two weeks ago, they had FaceTimed a few times. More than they usually do, but for Lukas, it was essential to know how his little sister was doing after the whole situation. Andy was at Lukas' when Elvira called in for an update of Carleen and the baby.

Lukas shook her head. "Stubborn."

"Well, you have the same genes, stubby." She smiled widely at her laptop, but it quickly faded away. Her thoughts were again by her family, how she was not able to be there, how much she missed them.

Lukas scanned her face. "What?"

"Nothing," she mumbled and looked outside. "It's just...you are so far away, and I need some brother time. Doing something fun, go to a football game, spending hours at the beach, film nights, exploring spots around the city to photograph."

"You are really not feeling it anymore, huh?" Andy asked and raid his eyebrows.Elvira licked her lips and leaned against the window. "Shit, no. When I come to Perth with Christmas, I'm staying."

"And then?"

"Fuck knows what I will do. But I'm so done here in this goddamn hell hole." Lukas smirked about her comment. "Maybe I will annoy your arses, or I don't know," she shrugged.

"I don't think I'm ready for that," Andy slowly said and widened is eyes.

Elvira took a sip from her glass. "Too bad for you."

It was quiet for a moment. The noises on the background were heard in Perth from Paris; cars, voices and bird noises. It was quiet in Perth, the only thing on the background was the radio. Lukas hummed along with Gang Of Youths: Let Me Down Easy. This was a band her family and friends loved. It was a tradition to go to a concert of them when they were in Perth, even with Daniel if he was around. Small details made her realise how much she missed it.

"Daniel texted me yesterday," Andy suddenly mentioned. Elvira and Lukas quickly looked at Andy with big eyes. "He asked if you were doing fine." Andy grabbed his phone and opened the chat with Daniel.

"Why?" Elvira tightened her jaw.

"How am I suppose to know that?"

She let out a breath and ran her hand through her hair.

"He started with: 'Hey Andy, long time no see. How are you going?'. I was like: 'Hey man, I'm fine. How about you?'. Then we had a long radio silence. After a few hours, he sent back: 'Things can get better. How is El doing?'."

"Brilliant," she mumbled and blew up her cheeks. "He was never mine, but losing him, broke my fucking heart. I can't handle this. Who in the fuck authorised this? I need to get over it, it happened for a reason."

Lukas stared at the camera while Andy nodded. "Yeah, that's up to you, mate."

"Thanks, really helpful. Now I know what to do." The words flew sarcastic over her lips.

"It's up to you. You and Daniel were basically married, and married couples know what to do. We can tell you what to do, but we are not in your position. Call him, talk to him. If it doesn't work out anymore, please close this chapter in peace, knowing you tried to make it up," Andy said, and Lukas agreed.

Elvira softly smiled, knowing she wouldn't do it anyway. It was sweet of them to give her advice, but this was up to Daniel, he was the one who ruined everything in her eyes.

"For the first time, my dear, you are saying something useful in your life. You were lucky enough to attend this wonderful experience, thinking you would be useless, but you turned it into something useful," Lukas said proudly and placed his hand on Andy's shoulder.

A laugh escaped Elvira's mouth, followed by a sneeze what made them all laugh harder.

2
"Bonjour Leonard, Andrée," Elvira raised her voice when she entered the home of two older people.

Leonard and Andrée were the people who used to live next to Elvira when she moved into her flat in Paris. You could say they took care of Elvira when she needed to and Elvira saw them as her grandparents. They taught her things about Paris, made dinner when she was late due work, all that kind of stuff grandparents do. Last year they moved to a ground floor flat since it was hard for them to walk up the stairs every day.

"Mon ange," Andrée happily said.

Elvira followed the voice to the living room and faced the two people sitting on the sofa. "Good morning," she said and walked to the kitchen. She placed the bag full of groceries and a bunch of roses on the counter.

"How are you?" Leonard asked.

Elvira turned around and looked at the couple. "I'm good. How about you? Did Rosie and Chris visit you this week?" Rosie and Chris were their children. The bond with them was alright, but it could be better. They showed up once a month, and that was it. Leonard and Andrée were glad Elvira stopped by every Wednesday is she could make it - what was almost every week.

Andrée smiled and nodded. "Yes, they did. It's ridiculous they come and stay for ten minutes. But fine, people these days."

Elvira laughed about the woman. "Coffee? Tea?" Changing the subject was to prevent the awkward conversation about children who don't visit their parents because of their own busy life.

"Coffee, please," Leonard said.

"For me as well."

Elvira nodded and turned back to the counter. While the coffee machine was warming up, she cleaned up the groceries. She listened to the small talk of the two people about the politics and news articles in the newspaper. Something Elvira loved to listen to. It was all about what they read on paper or what they heard from friends. No mobile phone, no computer, no social media. Just face to face, no screens, just living life. Although they were 75 years old, they could perfectly keep up with the world just like someone who was sitting 24/7 behind their laptop and phone.

"But darling, how is your driver friend?" Leonard asked when she sat down on the couch.

Elvira's hand was wrapped around the third cup she made for herself. "If I'm honest with you, I have no idea. I haven't spoken to him for a while."

"Oh," Andrée mumbled. "How is it going on your work? How's Blair doing?"

"Why?" Leonard continued over Daniel.

Andrée hissed: "leave it alone. That's not up to us."

Elvira smirked softly. "No, it's fine. We clashed, that is how things happen." Elvira noticed how easily she could talk about it. "And work is fine. So is Blair, happily enjoying the motherhood."

"Send her my greetings, will you?" Andrée asked. Elvira nodded. "I bought a new magazine, and I love it. You did a good job." She grabbed the May edition and flipped through it.

Elvira's smile softened and leaned over to have a look as well. They bought the magazine every month because they see them as a daughter. They are proud of her, and they want to have her work in their hands to show their friends what Elvira did.