What the fuck are you doing here?

1
The knuckles of Elvira hovered over the wooden door. She nipped her lip between her teeth and let out a deep breath. Her heart was pounding in her chest, and her hands felt sweaty. She knocked a few times on the door and waited patiently for Daniel to open the door.

After Blair encouraged Elvira to go to Monaco, Elvira bought a plane ticket to Nice for the next day. The conversation did her good, the pressure on her shoulders disappeared, and it gave her the feeling like her airways were clean to breathe properly again. This morning she finished the last projects without struggles, and she hopped on a plane on 15:25 at Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport. The clocked ticked 18:00 when she entered Daniel's flat. The traffic was a killer around this time on Friday, but she made it.

After a minute, the door still wasn't open, and there was still no Daniel. Elvira knocked a second time and focussed on the sounds inside of the flat. It kept quiet. A thin line appeared between her eyebrows, and she looked around in the hallway, this was the right apartment, but why isn't he opening the door? Why isn't he here?

Maybe he is at Max's. Elvira grabbed her bag and trolly from the ground and walked over to Max his flat, at least, she hoped she remembered the right door. She knocked on it and looked around. Everything was looking the same, she hoped everything was still the same after she talked to Daniel.

The door opened after a few seconds what gave Elvira a shock through her body. She looked at the woman who was standing in the opening with a soft, confused smile on her face.

"Can I help you?"

English, thank god. French wasn't a problem for Elvira, but her mind stopped working in French.

"Oh, I am sorry. Do you know where Max lives?" Elvira gave the woman a smile and crossed her arms in front of her chest.

Max, his head popped behind the wall of the living room when he heard his name. A familiar woman was standing in front of his girlfriend. "Elvira, what the fuck are you doing here?" He asked, surprised and walked towards the door. He scanned her face and the luggage on the ground.

"I am looking for Daniel?" She questioned confusedly and raised her eyebrows. "He isn't at home, so is he here? Or somewhere else?" She asked it carefully.

Max groaned and rubbed his face with his hands. "Alright, come in. Make yourself at home," he spoke disappointed and walked away.

Elvira and the woman of Max looked at each other and frowned. They both still had no idea who they were. The young lady let Elvira in and followed her inside.

"This is Dilara, my girlfriend. Dilara, this is Elvira, Daniel his..." Max his eyes found Elvira's eyes, what was she from Daniel? Friend? The most hated person? "Best friend?"

"Kind of, yes," Elvira nodded. She shook Dilara's hand and smiled warmly. She is gorgeous, Elvira thought. "But where is Daniel? I don't mind spending time with you, but I am kinda here because of him," she frowned and wrapped her fingers around the handle of the trolly.

"That is kinda a problem," Max said and picked up his phone from the table. "He is in Paris... To see you."

Her jaw dropped, and her heart started to beat faster. She could feel it in her throat. He was going to see her in Paris. "Fuck, he can't do one thing right," she mumbled and ran her hand through her hair.

"You can say that, yes," Max chuckled. "But I will call him. Have a seat, meet each other or stay awkwardly silent." He pointed at the sofa and walked away. This was an action for them, both making an effort to visit each other and yet they miss each other. What a bad timing. Max walked to the balcony and dialled Daniel's phone. The warm breeze touched his face.