Preparation

Wedding pt. 1

1
"There is no way back after this day," the father of Daniel said and smirked. "There is, but not a nice way." 

Daniel licked his lips and laughed. "I know what I am doing, trust me." Daniel took off his t-shirt. Joe handed over the white shirt. "Thanks."

"I remember the day I married your mother like yesterday." Joe put his hands in the pockets of his trousers and looked at the venue. "A day I will always remember." Daniel looked at his father and smiled. "Grandpa walked your mother down the aisle. Magical, Dan, that was magical."

"I can imagine," Daniel mumbled and buttoned his shirt up. "What is the secret of being married for so long? Everyone around me divorces all the time."

Joe turned around and looked at his son. "The secret...Now you are asking me a lot," he chuckled. "Take care of her, listen to her - even when she complains about the same thing over and over again, cry and laugh together. Talk a lot, understanding each other is really important. Forgive each other when you make a mistake or a fault. Share your problems, happiness. Without sharing, there is no communication, and without communication, there is no relationship. Respect each other on having a certain opinion, ideas et cetera. It takes time and patience to unlock all the ingredients to love that will take you to its threshold; it is the continual learning process that demands a lot of work... but the rewards are more worth than the effort..."

Daniel kept listening to his father. It remembered him of the old days when his dad was telling him an impressive story when Daniel was a kid.

"And of course, sex."

Daniel snorted and tucked his shirt in his dark green trousers.

"What? Sweet, sweet love is important. But since you've convinced you don't have a relationship, you need to remove that from the list. But it's important, Dan." Joe padded Daniel his shoulder and looked at him via the mirror. "And the last key to love, also a good marriage, is giving. Treat her well, make her smile every day. Buy flowers and surprise her, make a cup of tea without being asked for it, make time to cuddle, do your laundry; that is really important." Joe walked around in the room Daniel got for the last preparations. "Giving is getting the most wonderful smile she has."

Daniel softly smiled and started making the bowtie around his neck. He let out an annoying sigh when it didn't work. Joe walked over and smirked. He fixed the bowtie.

"What do you think I have been doing for the past eighteen years?" Daniel mumbled under his breath. Everything his dad said, was not new to Daniel. He kind of was doing this already. Expect the sweet, sweet love part.

"What?"

"Huh?"

"I thought you said something," Joe said and sat down on the bed.

"No, no," Daniel lied.

Joe knew what Daniel said, he heard him loud and clear. It just took a few seconds until it dawned on him. Joe knew he should leave it. Daniel looked at Joe again, and he smiled.

A knock was heard. Daniel and Joe looked at the door, and Max's head popped around the door. "Can I?"

"Yeah, sure," Daniel said and signed he could come in.

Max entered the room and closed the door behind him. "You are looking like shit."

"Thanks, Max," Daniel said sarcastically and held up his dumb.

Max smirked and sat down in the grey stool. "No, you are looking handsome," he complimented Daniel.

Max was wearing a grey tuxedo with a simple white t-shirt underneath it and white sneakers. The dress code was casual but wedding-ish. Since it wasn't a wedding like they used to, people didn't need to dress them like a wedding. It needed to be clean, but not too fancy. Just casual. Joe was wearing a tuxedo as well but in a dark blue colour and a shirt.