Chapter 4

The only good thing was that I was offered a job on the same day. Nothing special. I now work in the coffee shop where I've been getting my coffee for the last few days. I had been looking for a transitional job anyway and that was just the right thing for me to get some money in and stop obsessing over her. 

And so it did. Meanwhile over a month has passed, of course, I have not forgotten our meeting. But I was too busy to give it too much though during the day. Nevertheless, I could not deny that every time I was in the supermarket, in the subway, or in the park and a woman had even the slightest resemblance to her I felt hope for a moment and then a sad sting in the heart realising it was another stranger with a blonde bob. 

It is December now and yet it rained instead of snowing. It wasn't busy today. The people preferred to hurry from the subway, to work or straight straight home instead of stopping for a coffee.

Kate my „boss" had to leave earlier today and told me that I have to run the shop by myself. There won't be many customers today anyway and in my break, I should just close and reopen later.

"I said a latte with HAZELNUT milk." A man in a suit, his face red of anger.

"I'm sorry, I'll make it a new one right away sir" I replied politely, I was sure he had said normal milk just a second ago but I could be wrong. 

He stares at his watch impatiently and I started sweating a bit because the machine started doing a quick cleaning circle automatically. 

„Could you be any slower?!" He shouts now and the few guests look at me sympathetically. I kept my mouth shut and hurried. As I'm handing him his latte with hazelnut milk he is staring at his Applewatch and with a force stretches  his hand towards me, hits the cup without looking once and  pours the entire content over me. 

I gasped. He didn't even apologize but instead made a comment about how incompetent I was and left. What a day, I think, at my limit. 

Shortly after the incident I am alone in the shop and decide to take my break earlier. I hang the closed sign on the door and lean against the door exhaused.

I make my way to one of the tables and get out my book. I can't concentrate on the pages I'm too exhausted. My chin resting on my arms I start out of the rainy window. There, someone stands and watches me. I stared back a bit scared but couldn't see any eyes, the woman is wrapped in a thick scarf and with big sunglasses.

The Woman breaks the state first and went on walking, the door opened cold wind blows in and I shiver my sweater was still wet after all. Surprised I look up at the warm smiling face of Sarah Paulson.

"Thought I saw you inside here!" She runs her fingers through her lightly wavy wet hair. "What a coincidence". My mouth stands open as she turns to put her coat on a chair I quickly close it. 

"I recently started working here" I manage to say. 

The blonde turns around, looking around "It's so empty here- Oh did I interrupt your break dear?" She says realising.

 „No, no please ." I pointed to an empty chair next to me. Once again I couldn't believe it. I could only stare at her.

"I have an appointment soon but a cup of coffee won't hurt." Sarah says

"Of course." I say jumping up. "What would you like?"

"I take whatever you take. It's on me" Sarah smiles and moves her sunglasses back and forth on the table. Was she nervous? She can't be.

"So what are you reading" she says nodding towards my book on the table as I come back with two steaming cups of cappuccino.

"Oh, Um it's called The Goldfinch by Donna Tarrt" I turned it over so she could see the cover.