Chapter 5

I spin around and sigh for the first time I was alone in the atelier. In my atelier.

I never would have expected that to happen so quickly. I was so lucky. It was expensive but with the money I had saved and inherited from my grandfather after he died, I could afford it. For now, at least, I sighed. 

My grandfather was who taught me the most I know about art. I remember vividly how at every family celebration he patted my shoulder and declared in front of everyone that one day I'd be an artist like him. Though it was more of a hobby for him his trust made me realise I wanted to pursue my passion as a profession. I knew he would be so proud of me if he could see me. I absently touch my shoulder.

Finally, I could start painting again, my fingertips were tingling at the thought of it. The size of my apartment made it impossible to even think about starting a new painting there. It was perfectly sufficient for me to live in it. but work? unthinkable.

I check my watch, it was still relatively early. I had taken today off because I didn't know how long the meeting with my landlord would take It went faster than expected. I had promised Julie, my colleague to drop by later to tell her how it went. She would certainly be happy for me.

I wanted to do that first and then continue painting, but I couldn't help it and primed the canvas in a rich mustard yellow.

In the metro I pull the green sweater out of my handbag and stare at it. Making sure it was still there. It had been a strange habit in the last two weeks I carried it with me everywhere. I then had the completely irrational feeling of being closer to her. It also reminded me that I had not only dreamed us meeting and hoped I would see her again so I could give it back to her. Yeah, the last was probably the most logical reason to drag the sweater with me. I carefully put it back inside. 

My phone vibrates, and a message from Julie appears, "When are you coming?"

"On my way, almost there," I respond.

Entering her apartment door I beam at my newfound friend. We are colleagues at the coffee shop and both new to the city which we bonded over and quickly became friends. 

I hug her "look who is glowing" she says and I laugh. "How was your day Julie?" 

"I wanna know about yours first! I am so curious, did everything go well?" I went on and told her all about the atelier. "I can't wait to see soon." 

Julie pauses, "There is something I wanted to tell you, it has to do with your precious sweater- the one you're hiding in your bag" My eyes go wide, she continues "which by the way you still haven't told me the origin off!" She raises a brow. 

"Uhm what- what about it?" My mouth feels dry.

"A middle aged woman came by the shop while you were gone and asked for you" 

My mouth drops, Sarah was there and I missed her. And she asked for me?!

"Wha-"

"No worries she left a message for you" Julie continues enjoying my reactions.

"WHAT DID SHE GIVE YOU JULES?" 

"She gave me nothing-" I feel like losing it "But she told me to tell you to come to 1000 5th Ave this Saturday around eight thirty pm and that she hopes that you are free." 

A long pause and Julie continues nonchalantly "Anyway I checked the address and it's the Metropolitan Museum" I still stare at her my heart beating, why does Sarah want to meet me at the Metropolitan Museum?

"Will you now tell me who this woman was?" I feel bad about lying but I tell her it's an art sponsor and she quickly lost interest.

Time flew by and I felt increasingly nervous throughout the week. I still didn't know why she wanted to meet me nor did I know what we would do or what I would wear, yes what would I wear? After work, I decide to work home instead of taking the metro. My nerves surely needed that I was all over the place with my thoughts. In a store window, I catch sight of a beautiful burgundy scarf. 

With my knew scarf I now actually make my way come. So much about saving money but oh well.

to be continued...

_________________________