where's Carol? wait, oh no, is that Thanos? apparently he isn't dead. yay.

Three years later...

  The first time Carol had seen Valkyrie was the time when she first arrived on New Asgard in Norway. She had watched the dark-skinned warrior from her spot in the sky, hidden in the clouds. She had flown down to meet Thor's friend, and saw that the girl looked even more beautiful up close, with her fiery brown eyes and when Carol had known her better, her confident aura.

  She had to admit that Valkyrie's fight moves were surprisingly good and she had good stamina. She had seen the way her mysterious eyes sliced into her when they practiced their fighting abilities on each other, the way she analyzed her. She had felt a tad bit intimidated, and she was going kind on Valkyrie. Not going to lie, when she lay herself in Valkyrie's bed that night, her heart felt like she had really gone into a real battle, beating fast and hard. And when she woke up in Valkyrie's arms the morning after that because she was freezing at night and Valkyrie had stolen almost all of the blanket they shared, she felt relaxed and good, until a knock on the door and Thor's booming voice made her untangle herself from Valkyrie's warm arms. Carol also had given Valkyrie her locket, which was to show her gratitude for Valkyrie letting her stay.

  That was three years ago. After the battle with Thanos, Carol was constantly busy with Fury entrusting her mission after mission, traveling across the galaxy and saving planets from whatever evil there was. She was exhausted at times, and found herself missing Valkyrie the way she had missed Maria.

  Carol, focus! Carol cleared all thoughts from her mind and began exploring this new, weird planet Fury had given her a mission to take a look at just in case there was any suspicious energies or dark evil lurking in here. She looked up at the dark sky, and the deep brown of it reminded her of Valkyrie.

  A sharp pain blazed like hot fire in her neck. She immediately turned around to check, but her legs suddenly felt like jelly underneath her and she stumbled.

  Her head ached and her vision went black, the world flickering in and out of view in front of her. She trembled with the effort of holding herself up and nausea. A huge, purple blob started advancing toward her, something long and blue and glowing in its hand.

  Her mind slipped into oblivion.

-

It had been years since Valkyrie had seen Carol. She was curled in her room, fingering the locket that Carol had given her when she left. She traced her finger over the filigree carving on the locket and flicked it open. A small lock of golden hair was nestled in it and that made her smile at the memories that came with it.

  It had been three years ago, and the last time she had seen Carol was on the battlefield, battling against Thanos and his army. She had been half-worrying, half-focusing on the battle, smacking aliens aside while searching the mass of bodies down there for Carol. Her heart had stopped when Carol grappled with Thanos for the gauntlet, and she had held him off from snapping his fingers, but was thrown to the side. Valkyrie had rushed to her after that, and Carol had used her powers to cut off a lock of her hair and tucked it into the locket hidden behind Valkyrie's chestplate. Then she had touched Valkyrie's wrist, smiled, and flown away, punching through an airship as she went.

  After the battle was over, Thor had appointed her as the new King of New Asgard, and now here she was, ruling the kingdom. She still lived in her own hut, leaving Thor's for Korg and Meik. She had missed Thor, of course, but he would come back for visits occasionally so she wouldn't be alone and even stayed for a few days, catching up with Korg and Meik. He had told her about seeing Carol flying across the galaxy a couple of times, and she was pretty sure he was doing it on purpose even when she hadn't asked. That made her want to pull him back from space and give him a slap. She laughed quietly at the thought.