so this is how the plan goes.

"Guys!" Rocket's voice yelled. Valkyrie jumped a foot into the air. "I think I see something!"

  Valkyrie gently shook Mantis awake. Once Mantis was on her feet, staring wide-eyed at the windows, Valkyrie tapped a sleeping Nebula's shoulder. Nebula leaped to her feet, her hands curled into fists. Valkyrie slid Dragonfang from behind her back. She took out the Holographic Spacesuit and activated it. "You guys don't move. I'll go out and check."

  "I'll go with you-" Mantis started.

  Nebula stopped her instead. "I've seen the way Carol acted around her. Trust me, it's safer if it's just her Carol is facing." Nebula looked at Valkyrie. "We'll move the ship away from view. And when you need help, flash that locket of yours."

  Valkyrie nodded and smiled. "Stay safe."

  "Don't come back in pieces, Your Majesty," Rocket added. He smirked when he said, "Your Majesty".

  "I won't," Valkyrie promised.

-

Carol went barrelling toward her from the direction of Earth, and Valkyrie floated backward when Carol halted to a shining stop in front of her.

  Carol glanced down at Valkyrie's dented chestplate. She frowned and bared her teeth. "You again."

  Valkyrie pushed back the fear and pain. "Yes, it's me again." Worry pierced her heart when she saw gashes and cuts all over Carol's face. She reached out and let her hand hover a few centimetres away from Carol's bruised eye. "Does it hurt?"

  "Who are you to care?" Carol spat. Her creepy blue eyes narrowed. "It's just you."

  "It's just me." With a small smile, Valkyrie added, "Space Cowboy."

  Carol blinked. "Space...Space Cowboy?"

  "You can have your space, cowboy," Valkyrie hummed softly. The dull ache of her chest came back all of a sudden, and she winced. "R-Remember that song?"

  Was it just her, or did she see a small hint of concern in Carol's furrowed eyebrows?

  Valkyrie spread her hands. "I come in peace, Carol. I just wanted to talk to you." She took off her chestplate and tossed it aside, watching it slowly float away. She rubbed her chest as subtly as possible, hoping to ease the pain.

  Carol reached out and grabbed the chestplate. Then, she floated closer to Valkyrie. She must've seen the way Valkyrie recoil, because she said, "I'm sorry."

  Valkyrie's heart leaped into her throat when Carol slowly adjusted the chestplate over her chest and torso, the familiar feeling of her skin over Valkyrie's body.

  "Who are you?" was all Carol said after a while of silence.

  "You know me," Valkyrie whispered softly. She took Carol's hands in hers. "Stop thinking about anything and just stay with me. You'll know."

  "I-I can't stay," Carol stuttered.

  "I know, Carol. But just relax, I'm not going to hurt you. You...you can come back home with me," Valkyrie murmured soothingly. "I miss you."

  The blue in Carol's eyes flickered and she blinked, once, twice, three times. She let out a feral snarl and shook her head, tearing herself out of Valkyrie's hands. She then flew away.

"Wait! Carol..." Valkyrie rubbed her palms together where Carol's hands had fit almost perfectly into hers. She sighed softly and bit back a sob. She was so close to getting Carol back.

  When she was back in the ship, the others were all quiet. She guessed they were shocked at how she could get so close to Carol without being attacked.