t w e l v e

"Yeah, I love you too baby. We're leaving in the morning. Of course, I want to see Esther, yeah. Can she stay? Okay, cool. Yeah, I love you. Bye."

Amaya tossed her phone onto her bed before groaning and tossing herself on the bed, dragging a hand through her hair. Daniel, who was sitting on the floor, looked up at her in confusion, but there was humor in his eyes.

"What's up?"

"What's up? I feel bad, Daniel. I feel so bad. I'm lying to my boyfriend, to someone I love so dearly, and I'm just acting like the world is normal. 'No, Jonah, I didn't cheat on you with Daniel, why would I ever?' 'I love you, Jonah.' 'Sure, I'd love to see your little sister!' I'm a liar."

"Hey, hey. We already decided it's never happening again, so there's no reason to hurt him if you don't have to."

Amaya sighed, nodding. He was right, of course he was right. He was Daniel, and he always knew best. He would never do her dirty like that, and she knew it.

"Yeah, you're right, you're right."

He smiled, moving to sit next to her. She tensed momentarily, but his hand reached for hers and she was automatically calm again. She didn't trust herself with him, not anymore. Not now that she was seeing him in a different light. She didn't trust herself.

"Hey, can you help me take cute pictures for Instagram?" she asked after a moment, and he nodded, moving to kiss her cheek. She turned to look at him as he did though, and their lips connected once more.

Flashes of two nights previous flooded her mind, and Amaya couldn't help but grin into the kiss. Daniel was so, so wonderful, and all her worries about Jonah flew from her head. He pulled her close, and she was so caught up in him that his hands traveling up her sides didn't even faze her. It wasn't until the stairs outside her room creaked that she pulled away, trying to steady her breathing. Her door was closed, but that wouldn't stop her family from entering whenever they wanted.

Luckily, they had pulled apart just in time for her mother to appear in the doorway, inviting them down for lunch. Amaya smiled and kissed her cheek as she passed her, not waiting for Daniel. When her mother followed, Daniel followed her, knowing he would be unable to keep his eyes off Amaya otherwise.

Oh, damn. They were in so, so much trouble, weren't they?

✿