3. eavesdropping

"jesus christ man, you train like rocky." michael wheezed, his blue hair plastered to his forehead in sweat.

luke just shrugged, continuing to bounce from one foot to another and sending jabs to the punchbag he'd been using.

michael, on the other hand, cling to his punchbag for support, his legs shaking right down to the shabby black converse on his feet.

"luke." he groaned. "lukeeeee. can we call it a day? please man? it's been like, three hours. i'm done for the year."

"just push yourself mike, come on." luke's encouragement came out in short puffs of breath, and michael whined.

"i've pushed. i pushed too hard and now i'm over the edge luke. my body isn't a machine or a temple, it's just tired."

luke paused for a moment, and glanced over at his friend.

michael was a mess. he was drenched with sweat, his legs were shaking and he was currently chugging water like he hadn't drunk in weeks. his hair was flat on his head, and one eye was significantly more closed than the other.

with a sigh, luke started to remove his gloves.

"okay man, we can call it a day." at this statement, michaels face lit up, and he grinned crookedly.

"that's the spirit!" he cheered. "right well-" michael pulled his t shirt neckline up to his nose and grimaced. "i'm going to go and have about five showers. are you coming over later man?"

luke shrugged.

"sure, why not."

"i think we're having like, a friends night in or something." michael paused to take a breath in the middle of his sentence, folded in half with his hands on his knees. "it'll be fun, and we haven't all hung out since your match three days ago."

luke grimaced a little at michael's tone. truthfully, he did feel bad for not seeing the boys as much as he could've.

training had become his entire life, and sometimes he forgot there were other options.

this was the first time in years he'd had people wanting to spend time with him, and he'd fucked it up.

"i'll come over man. if you come training with me again." the corners of luke's lips tugged upwards slightly as michael groaned loudly from his new position laying flat on the floor.

"you drive a hard bargain hemmings."

luke prodded michael with the toe of his trainers as he walked past, and michael made a noise of protest.

"but i'll accept. so i shall see you tonight." he rolled onto his front and kneeled up, grinning at luke.

luke pulled his damp t shirt off and patted himself down with it, before throwing on a black hoodie.

"yeah, see you tonight man. make sure to drink a protein shake or something. and stretch." he advised, before slamming his locker shut. "do you want a lift home man?"

"god, more than anything!"

***

"so, refresh me on the point of tonight?" lola looked up from painting her toenails deep red, her gaze following bella around the room.

bella's usually immaculate bedroom was covered in different potential outfits and mismatched shoes, and she was situated in the middle of them, like a bird in a nest.

"well." bella held a velvet slip dress up to herself in the mirror, before throwing it to the side and huffing. "the point of tonight, is that i have liked michael for ages. and it's too scary to say or do anything about it sober, so we're going to go to theirs, get drunk and just...see what happens?"