16. pretty plasters and a prettier girl

waking up again on lola's sofa, with her head on her chest and his hand resting on the bare skin of her waist was the best morning luke had ever experienced.

the sunlight filtering in through the curtains made him squint, but it made her glow so he couldn't complain.

luke had training before his match that night, but getting up without waking lola would be considerably more difficult as she was laying almost directly on top of him. she looked so peaceful; he wanted more than anything to stay there forever but he had to make money and he had to train. the guy he was going against was apparently a pretty promising newcomer and luke wasn't taking any chances.

he shuffled slightly, keeping his arm tight around lola in an attempt to lower her on the sofa, but she stirred and luke froze, praying he hadn't woken her.

a tiny grunt escaped lola's lips as she propped herself up, turning to face luke before she even opened her eyes. slowly, luke was greeted with her warm gaze and the comforting darkness of her irises, and he couldn't stop the smile that spread across his face at how bambi-like she looked in the morning.

"hi." he winced slightly at just how raspy his voice was in the morning.

"hello." lola's voice rasped slightly too and god if luke didn't love that.

he couldn't help himself, and reached out to tuck a strand of her hair behind her ears, not missing the blush that covered her cheeks.

"i have training." he said apologetically, letting his hand rest in her hair.

lola leaned into his hand, smiling tiredly.

"what time?"

"real soon."

"you have a match today, don't you?" her eyes seemed slightly more alert, matching his gaze with ease.

"it's a late one, you don't have to come."

"i'll see you there." lola smiled widely, pressing a tiny kiss to luke's hand.

"it's at half ten?" luke felt stupid for sounding so worried - but the late night matches were usually more rowdy and he didn't like the thought of her being in the crowd without him there to protect her.

"i'll see you there." she repeated, her cheeks crinkling as her smile spread across her face.

***

"bella can you really not come tonight?" lola whined, holding her phone with one hand and racking through her clothes with her other.

"it's date night!"

"can't you have sex tomorrow instead? i don't want to stand in that crowd by myself, that's too scary." lola pulled out a pair of wide-legged, brown trousers and bit her lip in consideration.

"you'll be fine, cal and ash are still going, just text them and ask for a lift - and no, the sex can't wait."

"brown plaid trousers, what top?"

"oh the little white one with the cherub on the front!" bella was practically squealing, and lola laughed as she held the phone slightly away from her ear, pulling the top out of her drawer.

"and don't you dare think about wearing a bra!"

"if i actually had anything worth putting in a bra i would disregard that. but maybe today i'll let you be right." bella's excitement was almost deafening lola at this point.

"call me tomorrow and tell me absolutely everything. i love you, be safe!"

"i love you too, wear protection!" the phone clicked and lola threw it onto her bed, pulling on the outfit bella had recommended and spinning around in the mirror. she raised her eyebrows and pursed her lips, giving it a nod of approval.