18. an abundance of pasta

lola had been anticipating her date with luke all day.

bella had been over since the morning, purely so she could reassure lola whenever any random anxieties crept up, and along with bella came michael, who was happy to lounge in the kitchen and sample lola's varieties of tea bags.

"are calum and ashton coming over too?" lola asked, her hair still wrapped in a towel, a few damp tendrils clinging to her neck.

"they're with mr luke hemmings." michael winked, tasting his fourth cup of tea and grimacing immediately. "jesus lola why does your tea taste like fucking flowers?"

"it's very soothing gordon, now help me." he feigned offense at her mention of his middle name but was too invested in the budding romance between his two best friends to bother retaliating.

"you know luke better than anyone. what does he like?"

"he likes you lola?" michael laughed at his friend's desperate facial expression. "you're getting stressed over nothing - this isn't even your first date with him."

"i know but he's cooking for me and if he's making an effort i want to make an effort i just want to be sure i'm doing it right -"

"michael did you let her get stressed!" bella's voice filtered through from lola's bedroom, and a moment later she was in the living room, holding half of lola's wardrobe in her hands.

"i didn't do anything!" michael protested, watching his girlfriend throw the clothes down onto the sofa.

"you really are the worst at girly things." bella smirked slightly at him, watching a grin spread across his face at the look.

"i love that you're in love and i'm so happy for you but please, i feel like i'm going to throw up if these nerves don't go away." lola sat down on her coffee table, beginning to sort through the clothes.

"right, we want something cute but casual - since you're going to his house probably something easy to remove -"

"bella!"

"i dare you to tell me you didn't shave everywhere twice in that shower." lola felt her entire face heat up as michael let out a burst of laughter.

"nice one lola." he made his way into the living room and draped himself over bella, pressing a soft kiss to her cheek.

"luke likes red, by the way." michael mentioned casually.

"okay-" bella reached down, pulling everything that was red out of the pile of clothing and placing them on lola's lap. "mikey can you be a darling and put all of this back?"

michael's eyes widened at the amount of clothes still sitting on the sofa and groaned.

"you really do keep me around as your man slave don't you?" he quipped, picking up the pile all at once and walking to lola's room, before returning and resuming his position on bella's shoulder.

"no, i keep you around for much more than that." bella smirked, kissing him on his now-flushed cheeks.

"i have a lot of red clothes." lola mused, shuffling through the large pile on her lap.

"wear a dress, easier access." michael reasoned, snapping his fingers.

"you're so charming." bella countered, before thinking for a moment. "actually yeah, wear a dress."

"jesus - i don't want to go over assuming we're going to have sex!" lola objected. "what if that's not what he wants?"

"lola sometimes i really do worry about you." bella deadpanned, stepping forward to sit on the sofa across from lola and picking up a red dress.