33. tiny dancer

it was almost pitch black by the time they arrived at lola's parents house.

it wasn't a huge house but it was by no means small; definitely much nicer than anything luke had seen before. their driveway sat alongside a small garden filled with meticulously kept flowerbeds, and through the windows luke could see a warm, cosy looking front room completed with a huge christmas tree and framed family photos lined up on the walls. the front door had a plant that luke couldn't name growing up around it, and an ornate wreath hung on the navy paint.

luke could feel a sick feeling twisting in his stomach; the same feeling he used to feel when he first started boxing, before stepping into the ring.

but there were no punches being thrown; no shouting from the crowd; no opponent to defeat.

no, all there was was his girlfriend's parents, an older, stylish couple with bright smiles painted on their faces as lola ran a few steps ahead and threw herself into her mother's arms, squeezing her tightly before bending to embrace her father in his wheelchair.

taking a last minute deep breath to try and settle his nerves, luke dragged the sides of his lips up into a polite smile - or at least what he hoped what a polite smile - approaching the doorstep the family were standing on.

"luke." lola's mother spoke, her voice slightly deeper than lola's, but still holding the same kindness. "it's so lovely to finally meet you."

she stood about a head shorter than luke, but he still felt about two foot tall as he approached her, leaning tentatively into her opened arms for a short hug.

as they drew back, he smiled a bit wider, the knot of anxiety in his stomach gradually beginning to loosen.

"i'm claire, lola's mother."

both mother and daughter shared the same coloured hair, but claire's was longer, straight, and pulled back into a ponytail that fell down her back. her eyes had tiny crows feet that deepened as she smiled, and luke noticed that beneath both eyes she had one identical freckle either side. her eyes held the same warmth lola's did, and he felt himself relax further.

"it's great to meet you. lola's told me loads about you guys."

"ah, all good i hope!"

luke's attention was turned to lola's father, a man with tan skin a few shades darker than lola's and a mass of black, tightly curled hair, decorated with a few streaks of silvery grey. his eyes shone out from behind a pair of thickly rimmed tortoise-shell reading glasses and he held his hand up, ready for luke to shake it.

luke obliged, gripping the man's hand firmly but not too tight, aware that breaking lola's father's hand was probably not the best first impression he could make.

he let out a small chuckle at the comment, receiving a wide grin from lola's father, who was always a great fan of anyone willing to laugh at his jokes - part of the reason he and calum got on like a house on fire.

"all very good things." he reassured the man.

"i can relax then." her father brought his hand up to rest on claire's, who was gently resting on his shoulder. "i'm leo, lola's father. it's very nice to meet you luke."

"it's nice to meet you too."

he felt lola's hand snake around his arm to rest on his bicep and finally, the knot of anxiety dissipated and he could completely relax.

the introductions were done, and her parents seemed - understandably - just as delightful as the daughter they'd raised.

"you must both be tired," claire spoke up. "grab your stuff from the car and come inside!"