Chapter 1 - Home, Not So Sweet Home

As I'm driving through the streets of New York City, realization suddenly hits, I'm finally home. I try to brush off the uneasy feeling building in the pit of my stomach and convince myself that things will be different this time. I'm different.

Driving through this city in a U-Haul truck really sucks, but boy did I miss its grand beauty. I could have had someone drive the truck for me, but sometimes a gals got to take the bull by the horns and ride the life train by herself. Okay weird analogy. I just wanted to take my time getting here. I was in no rush.

Up until now, life's been a non-stop ride. A ride that I have ridden to my fullest potential. I wanted to get all my travels, adventures and hobbies out of the way before I moved back. I knew once I was home, my life would be too busy to enjoy such fantasies.

I just graduated from college several days ago. I had one week off until I started work. I had so much to do in the meantime this week. I didn't want to begin thinking about it. Dad was lucky he was retiring. At least he gets to live the rest of his life doing whatever the hell he wants. My life was just now beginning. I wouldn't see retirement for quite a while. Nope, I was stuck here.

Dad left me the company, to co-own with his former partners son, my Co-CEO, Caleb Fyre. I haven't met the guy yet. I hope he was cool though. I'd hate to hate him. Regardless, him and I would be stuck together forever. Fyre & Abbington Enterprises was ours and whether we got along or not, we were now partners for life.

I'm just now pulling into the driveway of my old home. It's located just outside the city. I put the truck in park and stepped out. I stretched my arms high above, and then made my way around. I stopped to gaze up and take in the manor.

The manor looked bigger than I remembered and creepier... I was suddenly overcome with instant chills, and the memories of a haunting past I worked so hard to suppress and forget. I shuddered. I took a deep breath and shook my head. I forced my mind clear of the thoughts. It's all in the past... I reminded myself a few times. It's all in the past.

I focused on the manor. The grey brick walls appeared darker, and the ivy that once grew evenly along the wall, was now overgrown. Either dad fired the groundskeeper, or he gave up on appearances.

I would have given up too, if I'd lost the love of my life. I would have given up on a lot. A sudden eerie sound of creaking ahead of me, caught my attention. Someone was opening the door.

"Miss Claire! You're home! Oh, it's so good to see you!"

Louise...

My smile grew, as I held out my arms, ready to embrace my dear sweet old friend. Our head housekeeper was basically a part of the family. I've known her all my life.

"Hello Mrs. Louise. It's so great to see you," I greeted. Louise gave me a strong hug.

"Oh honey, I've missed you so much. It's so great to have you home at last," she said, with so much love.

"I've missed you too. Yeah, it's been a while. Is my dad home?"

Louise's hands went straight to her hips, as she popped her hip and gave me a sassy smile.

"A while? Honey, it's been eight years! You've kept yourself away for so long and no, your father is away on business," she stated. I nodded. He was always out of town. Go figure.

"You saw me two years ago at the funeral. Plus, you out of everyone, knew how much I needed to get away, yet here I am, back where it all started," I said.

Louise gave my arm a rub, out of sympathy. I didn't mean to, but I flinched out of habit. It was a kind gesture of hers, but not needed. I still didn't like people touching me. Not even family. Unless I initiated the contact. It was a trust issue, I don't think I could ever get over. You'd think after so many years, I'd have gotten better, but nope. I was just incapable of physical contact, and there was no one who could change that. No one at all.