two

RUEL  —————

i enjoy swimming in the ocean, but unforntally i don't get to do it often.

however, today i had the free time and it happened to be a perfect day to go down to the shore.

i pull on some swim shorts, grab my things, and head to the beach. it's not far from my house, so i decide to walk.

the minute i step foot in the sand, i quickly place my belongings down and go into the ocean.

i love feeling the movement of the water, and getting to move with it.

i used to be on a swim team earlier on in high school, but i quit a few years back.

the water is cool around my bare skin, and i'm immediately refreshed.

i swim around for a lot longer, and find myself drifting away from the other people in the ocean.

i look back towards the shore to make sure all my stuff is still where i left it. i remember there being an issue of stolen belongings a week ago, so i wanted to make sure no one took my things.

but out of nowhere, i'm whacked on my back by a huge wave.

the ocean was peaceful.

until it wasn't.

until now all i can see is raging water.

and her. a girl, swimming next to me.

i try and move around, struggling to reach either the surface, or her.

it feels like all my breath is being taken away from me.

and then the blue water goes black.

—————

the light from the sun is blinding.

what happened? where am i?

"you drowned. and i found you," says a girl kneeling next to me.

am i saying this out loud?

there are life guards all around me, but she is the only one that i seem to listen to.

something in the way her voice sounds.

it sounds like she's an angel.

"um, i'm not an angel, i just happened to find you," the girl speaks again, with a giggle.

"shit," i say, trying my best to sit up.

"no, please there's no rush. the life guards said you took a hit to your head after a big wave," states the girl.

her voice is as soft as butter. who is this mystery girl? why have i never seen her before?

"who are you?" i ask.

she stands up from kneeling, and looks down at me.

"i'm kate. it's nice to finally meet you when you're not unconscious"

and she's funny?

i chuckle at her joke and am about to say my name too, but the life guards around me help me up.

"it seems like you are going to be okay," one of them says. "just be careful of your head, since you kinda took a hard hit under the water. oh and i'd suggest not swimming for a bit, at least just until you feel better."

i thank all the life guards for looking after me, and kate invites me to stay with her and her friend.

i grab by things and walk with kate to her spot on the sand.

"i never told you my name, i'm ruel," i tell kate.

"good to meet you ruel," she says.

"oh and thanks for saving me..." i begin, running my hand through my damp hair.

"it's nothing, really"

kate searches through a bag and throws me a towel and a shirt.

"you don't have to give me anything, i'm fine," i say.

"yeah, but you might need the shirt. you don't want to be walking around half naked," kate says.

i mean she has a point. i had walked from my house to the beach with only my swim shorts on.

i reluctantly accept the two items, and dry my hair and put on the shirt. it's a little small but it's whatever.

she does the same and pulls an oversized t-shit over her head.

"so..." she starts. "want to take a walk?"

"sure"

————————

hello!

sorry for the long update time. idk how often i should post new chapters. i want to make them good, so i like to take my time :) anyways i hope you enjoy. leave any chapter suggestions below.