eleven

KATE

New iMessage

ruel ~ do you really have fun learning?

me ~ i told you this already, ruel. i only go to school because i have to :(

ruel ~ sounds like hell. how has your first day been so far?

me ~ you took the words right out of my mouth. thankfully i can already sense that my morning classes are going to be chill. i could literally fall asleep in my sociology class and i don't think anyone would care.

ruel ~ does that mean that no one would notice if i happened to sneak into school with you?

ruel ~ i get lonely btw

me ~ what? no! are you serious?! and it's literally only the first day; you can't be that lonely.

me ~ also, in case you couldn't tell, i just gave a huge eye roll at that idea

"hey, what are you smiling about?"

i look up from my phone and notice my new friend, elise, curiously watching me.

elise moved to my school from another town, and it just so happens that we have almost all our classes together. currently, we sit at our desks in sociology class, waiting for the teacher to give us instruction.

"just texting someone," i reply, shutting off my phone and giving elise my full attention.

she's such a sweet girl; with dark brown hair and rich brown eyes. i can see us becoming close friends. much, much closer than the fake meg and i could have ever been.

it's nice being able to start senior year with a fresh start. new friends, new classes...

"most people don't smile like that when they text 'just someone'," elise slyly states in air quotes.

i give another eye roll. "it's just this guy, we met over summer break, and he's really funny and nice..."

"sounds like someone's got a crush!" interrupts elise. she smiles wide and waits for a reaction, leaning in towards me the slightest bit.

i feel my cheeks flush a rosy pink, and i bet elise notices that too.

"whatever", i say. "we've got class work to do."

—————

everyone is sitting around, anxious for class to end even though there's still 20 minutes left.

i glance across my shoulder over at elise and see that she's knocked out, head in her hands placed over her desk.

just as i follow my glance over the entire room, someone slowly opens the door and peaks their head in.

late. probably a freshman or something. they're always late to class on the first day.

but it's not a freshmans' figure that steps into the classroom. it's a built boy, average height with brown messy hair...

messy hair... hair that is all too familiar...

no.

no.

this can't be happening.

the boy brings his face fully into my view and for a split second we make eye contact, which seems to burn deep holes in the back of my head. and that's when i know...

i know immediately.

it's him.

even though i promised myself i would never say his name out loud again, it slips out of my mouth like an escaping curse.

"owen."

fucking asshole, owen.

"are you owen?" my teacher, asks him.

"uh, yeah. that's me," owen nonchalantly states as if he didn't just come to class 15 minutes late. i scoff.

"so glad you could join us, please take a seat," the teacher replies, obviously sarcastic.

the teacher leads owen to the desk right in front of me, and motions for him to sit.

as owen sits down, he turns around towards me and flashes me a sly smile along with a wink.

i pray to everyone and everything that my breakfast stays in my stomach, because at the moment i don't feel the greatest.

the teacher weaves himself back through the desks, squeezing past elise sleeping.

for a second i think he's going to tell her to wake up, but he just continues past, probably too annoyed about having to notify the main office about owen's tardiness.

god, i think i'm going to throw up.

i can't belive it.

i can't believe he is sitting right in front of me.

—————

the second the bell rings, i rush out of my seat and basically sprint to my next class: study hall.

i don't even say goodbye to elise or anyone for that matter.

all i want to do is get away; get away from owen.

———————

ooo things are getting spicy! more long chapters to come! thanks for making me 3rd in #ruel i really do appreciate it! it makes me so happy to know people are reading. still not sure how to end the story (i've written a few chapters ahead already) but we'll see how it goes! have a wonderful day! <3