twenty two

KATE

we only get to listen to a few more songs before ruel pulls into an open parking lot near a semi-fancy, outdoor shopping center.

"here i was thinking we were just going to a local mall," i tell ruel as we step out of the car. "but damn, i think i've only been able to window shop around this place."

ruel gives me a shy look. "if you want to go somewhere else, kate, we can. i just always find good stuff here, so i thought it would be fun."

by now i should be used to hearing ruel say my name, but every time he does, my stomach does a little flip.

to ease his mind, i give him a light kiss on the cheek. "in that case, i change my bet to finding at least three instagram worthy outfits," i say with a smile.

ruel relaxes and nods, leading the way towards the shopping center. the walk from the car shouldn't be far, but it seems miles apart since i'm walking next to a really long-legged guy who's already steps ahead of me.

i speed up a bit and reach out to catch ruel's hand. he turns around to look at me with an expression across his face that i can't yet read.

"you walk too fast," i smile at ruel, still holding onto him. ruel looks around jerkingly, about to drop my hand.

"kate, i'd want to hold your hand at any chance i could get, but... we can't out in public. people might recognize me..." he searches my face for understanding. "i don't want anyone making assumptions about you."

although i'm disappointed, i understand where he's coming from; we need to keep our public and private lives separate.

"no worries," i reply, letting my hand slip out of ruel's touch. "but i must say, my acting skills aren't that great."

ruel's smile widens. "don't worry about it, mate," he emphasizes with a wink.

—————

"oh my god, ruel! you need to try this on!"

i grab a patterned button-down shirt, flinging it over the rest of the clothes i've scavenged for in the high-end thrift store.

i see ruel peek around a mannequin wearing a similar outfit. he's having a fun time just wandering around as i pull item after item from off the racks. at this rate, i think i'll have more than just three good outfits for him, that is if everything fits right and looks good.

"alright, i think you should try everything on now," i tell ruel, passing the load of clothes onto him. he pretends to collapse under the weight, making the both of us laugh.

we go to ask an employee for the dressing room key, and a girl my age behind the counter says she'll help us. she leads ruel an i towards the dressing rooms and opens them up.

"and if you need anything else, please don't be afraid to ask," the girl says flirtatiously, looking directly at ruel. once she leaves, i notice ruel roll his eyes.

"how's pretending to be 'just friends' working out, ruel?" i ask him jokingly.

ruel heads into the dressing room and closes the curtain. "it's not as effective as i imagined," he finally replies.

after a few minutes of waiting, ruel pulls the curtain back to reveal a stylish, yet fun outfit.

"ooooh, i like this one!" i tell him, spinning him around so i could see the whole outfit.

ruel is unsure at first. "really?"

"yeah, i'd totally like this outfit on instagram," i add with smile.

ruel looks down at me for a split second, but then back towards a mirror. "okay, i'll get it," he decides.

i can't help but feel happy that he likes an outfit i choose, and that he could possibly post a picture of it on insta. without thinking, i pull out my phone and tell ruel to make a funny face.

once he goes back into the dressing room, i send him the picture. i hear his phone ding, and then ruel pops his head around the curtain.

"the outfit actually looks really good on camera," he says in reply.

i shrug matter-of-factly. "i told you so, and i'd consider posting that photo. the face you made looks extra attractive..." i laugh.

"oh, i'm one step ahead of you, kate. it's already on my story."

—————

the thrift store was such a success, that the only thing left on our agenda is to chow down on some lunch.

"my stomach is literally eating itself, ruel. where's a good place for food around here? i ask him.

ruel glances down at me and says that there's a good pizza place a little further along, but that means i'll have to be patient. hmf, being patient isn't something i'm good at.

soon enough, we make it to the pizza place which is stationed in the middle of the shopping center. it's gotten quite crowded within the past hour, but i don't mind the bustle.

we wait in line to find our seat, and once we get to the front, a friendly waiter leads us to an outdoor table right along the sidewalk. she hands us our menus, and ruel and i both agree to split a large pizza, each ordering drinks along with it.

"we might need to buy another pizza," i say once the waiter leaves. "i'm not sure that just one will be enough."

ruel picks up his drink and takes a sip. "you sure about that? i've heard the pizzas here are pretty big..."

"if there's anything you should know by now, it's that you can never underestimate me." i playfully warn ruel.

"oh yeah?"

i take a sip of my own drink. "if i eat more slices of pizza than you, you have to buy me ice cream."

—————

"one chocolate vanilla swirl ice cream to go, please," ruel asks an employee.

even though i only ate one more pizza slice than ruel, i'm not sure i'll be able to finish the ice cream all in one sitting.

the two of us are just about to sit down on a bench across the street, when we notice a group of teenage girls with their phones out running towards us. 

well, more like running towards ruel.

—————-

i'm back and i've got more chapters up my sleeve! (although i'm pretty sure the story will end within the next 6-7 chapter or so)

motivation is still sporadic, but i've been working on it. i give a huge thank you to everyone who was so sweet on my last post, i'm glad i took last week off to form just a few more ideas before the story ends. it really helped me clear my head and get into a better space.

i hope you enjoyed this chapter, i know it's been long awaited for lol! i love you all, and thank you for the support ❤️ see you next week!