four

RUEL

she's doing something to me.

see the thing is, i'm not usually quickly attracted to people.

but that girl....

kate.

she must be doing something right.

i try and flirt with her a bit, but to be honest, i'm not really sure if i'm going it right.

to be frank, i've never been in a relationship before.

is that weird? to be 17 and have never had a girlfriend?

maybe, but i try not to think about it too much.

not to brag, but i'm kinda a lanky legend.

being a famous singer with so many fangirls can be a little overwhelming sometimes.

actually, the only reason why i'm having more time to myself recently, is because i'm deciding to take a month off of touring.

i need a break.

a distraction...

"hey? are you even listening to me?" says the distraction herself, kate.

"uh... no...?" i reply.

"well, if you cared to listen, i found your stuff under a beach blanket."

i see her standing next to the pile of my belongings, holding up a corner of the blanket to see what's underneath.

"oh right! i think i did that on purpose,"

she probably thinks i'm a douche now.

"alright... so...," she drags on, looking down at her feet. she drops the blanket.

there's a good 10 seconds of awkward silence.

"i guess i should go back now?" she speaks again, wary of leaving me.

i have to do something.

quick.

"wait! don't you want to stay for a bit to eat? if i remember correctly i reckon i packed some bagels in that backpack right there," i point.

"okay, sure. i'd like that," kate tells me with a smile.

score!

—————

all the four beagles i packed are gone now. so is a bowl of fruit and one chocolate bar.

i gave kate the chocolate bar.

"thanks for looking after me today," i tell her.

"ya, it's no biggy. I actually kinda needed the company today," she replies with a dazed look on her face.

i wonder why...

"how come?" i ask.

"um... it's personal," kate tells me, seeming kind of on edge.

she looks up at me and her i can see right through her. she really wants to share what's going on. i can feel it.

"i um actually came here with my friend, meg, but i don't know if i want to call her a friend anymore" she finally breaks.

i don't interrupt, and wait for her to keep talking. i never want to pressure her into telling me something she feels uncomfortable with. after all, we basically just met.

"you know what, it's a long story," kate says, shaking her head and standing up from our spot on the beach.

"those are the best kind of stories," tell her.

she's silent for a moment.

i don't know what's going to happen next.

maybe i never will...

————————-

we liking the story so far? sorry abt not updating sooner. motivation isn't at its highest this month. regardless, i hope you all are still interested in the story.

<3 sarah