eight

RUEL

i'm awoken in my sleep by a buzzing sound.

sleepily, i roll out of bed and search through the covers, trying to find my what i speculate was my phone.

when i do, i finally spot my phone jumbled all the way at the foot of my bed, under heaps of blankets.

i lazily turn it on, but only to see that it's barely 12:30 at night.

weird...

shaking my head, i continue looking through my phone. i then open imessage after realizing i have an unread text.

2 minutes ago:

kate ~ you up?

oh shit she texted me. like legit. texted me.

after seeing that kate was who caused my phone to go off, i become immediately awake and to try and think up a response.

would i seem desperate if i respond right away? should i wait a few more minutes?

i decide it's best to wait just a little while longer, that way i could also give myself time to think of what to reply back.

5 minutes breezes by and i find myself staring at her message again.

kate ~ you up?

me ~ yeah, just woke up

i immediately second guess myself after hitting send. was my response too aggressive? did it make me seem pissed off to be talking to her.

god i hope not. it only takes another minute before she replies.

why is my heart beating so fast?

kate ~ oh sorry. did i wake you?

damn she's so considerate.

me ~ not really. i was just taking a nap. so what's up?

kate ~ just casually thinking about a gazillion things atm.

i hope she's alright...

me ~ that doesn't sound too good. is there anything i could do?

kate ~ just distract me from everything

me ~ damn, i mean i'll try

what could i do? what could i do? think...

maybe talking to her in person would help. maybe.

me ~ how about you meet me at the beach, we could talk better there and relax

kate ~ okay, ill be there in 10

what did i just do?!

i cant sneak out! my whole family is home. plus, my mom is already mad at me, and coco is on to me too.

while trying to figure out the best way to escape, i pack my backpack with stuff to bring to the beach. it always gets a little chilly at night, so i bring along a sweatshirt. i also pack the shirt kate gave me, and prepare to give it back to her.

with my bag packed, i swing it over my shoulder and quietly step out of my room.

my best bet is to go through the back door, but it spontaneously makes a loud squeaking sound sometimes.

i'll just have to hope for the best.

tiptoeing through the shadowy halls, i try my hardest to be quiet, however the unlevel floor boards aren't on my side.

i reach the back door and turn the handle.

"please...," i wince, preparing for the worst.

the door swings open without making a noise.

i exhale deeply, relieved that no one heard.

"sneaking out. how rebellious"

i snap my head around to see coco, standing behind me. i can only make out her profile from the dim light filling through the door.

"just let me be, please," i beg her.

"mom won't be happy..." she warns.

"actually she will. because you won't be telling her," i snap back, walking out of the house.

i'm not in the mood to argue with her. i need to make it to the beach in time.

i hop on my bike and ride to the beach within 7 minutes.

just in time to see kate, looking out towards the ocean with her hair blowing behind her.

———————

hi :)

(lol i don't have much else to say)

are we liking the story so far? be prepared for some better chapters coming soon!