CHAPTER SIX

"Hey, babe. When did you get back to Los Angeles? " Liam withdrew from the hug slowly. He didn't even fidget because I think it was obvious that our hug was a rather platonic one, except to his girlfriend obviously.

"I just got back now and decided to come to see you. Then I saw this thing hugging you like her life depended on it." She acidly replied.
"She's not a thing, she's my new personal assistant and she was just offering a rather friendly hug," Liam said, plastering a fake smile.

I mean I definitely would fake a smile if my girlfriend was this rude.

"Do you go about hugging other people's boyfriend like a leech?" She rudely asked.
I was about to reply that I wasn't a leech when Liam quickly intervened.
"Addie and I would be having a late breakfast. I wouldn't be long, do tell Joanna to inform anyone who wants to see me, to wait a bit," Liam was saying then he suddenly stopped and looked like he was thinking for a second. Then he continued talking, " Never mind... I'll inform her on my way out. In case of any emergency, we'll be at Tropicava. It's one of the company's restaurants. You simply can't miss it. " Liam and Addie started walking out of the office.

Before they walked out, I heard Addie whisper to Liam, "Do you have to tell her where we are going? Is she that important to you?"
Then Liam replied, " Let it go, Addie, it's her first day of work. She needs to feel at home with me, besides you know I would never cheat on you. So stop being jealous every goddamn time because not everyone is after me and my money. I can have normal friends too and..." I didn't hear them again cause they finally left the office.

Wow! Such a beautiful face but a horrible personality. Such a shame!
          * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
I was going through Liam's schedule that Joanna sent to me. According to her, as the personal assistant of Liam, I had to be up to par with Liam's schedule. As the secretary, her major work for Liam was only to confirm the appointment and fix an appointment for people who wanted to see Liam. While I was supposed to be Liam's sidekick.

I was still going through the schedule when Liam entered the office, thankfully without his annoying girlfriend. I waved him a simple hello and continued with the schedule. Surprisingly when I looked up, Liam was at the front of my desk. I gasped loudly and placed my hand on my chest.

"Jeez! You scared the living daylight out of me."
"I'm sorry about that. It wasn't my intention." Liam said, but he looked like he wanted to burst into laughter.
"I know you did it intentionally so don't spare your laughter for my expense or for my feelings. Feel free to laugh away." I grumbled.

Suddenly Liam's deep throaty laughter echoed in the office. I didn't even notice when I joined him to laugh at myself. It's really ironical that I joined him to laugh at me. He's just so charming, so I'm definitely going to place my blame on that attribute.
When we both stopped laughing, I groaned as I suddenly realized what I just did.

"You made laugh with you?"
"Admit it... It was a tad bit funny."
I grumbled again and said, " It's only funny cause you are not the one being laughed at," I said, and suddenly remembered that he probably came to tell me something.
"So what did you want to tell me?"
"Oh... I totally forgot for a moment. I wanted to apologize for what Addie said to you. She was out of step and I wanted to apologize on her behalf." He smiled widely.
"You don't need to apologize. I should apologize to her for hugging her boyfriend so tightly." I smiled widely and winked so that he would know I didn't take it personally.

He winced, "Don't even remind me."
"It's okay Liam, I mean I would have reacted the same way if you were my boyfriend and I saw you hugging another girl." I know I wouldn't react that way cause I'm not a jealous type, but Liam doesn't know that bit.
Liam looked shocked and said, "You? Little innocent Lettie get jealous? I don't know you well, but you definitely don't seem the type."
"Don't doubt a diva like me. I can be fierce too you know. I'll scratch any leech trying to snatch my boyfriend from me." I huffed and puffed.
"Firstly, please let's refrain from ever mentioning the word leech any way at all," He groaned like he was in pain. "Secondly, I doubt you can ever do that. You smile like an angel, you act as gentle as a dove. You definitely can never even lie or hurt a fly. If you were that person, I definitely can't see it." He laughed and went back to his desk.
When he was saying these qualities he thinks I have, the smile slipped off my face. I shook my head sadly and muttered 'If only you knew.'
              * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Working for Liam for the past two weeks has been blissful. He has been the most amazing boss to me. Honestly, I never thought people like him existed. Even when I'm getting things all wrong, he just smiles and says " Never mind Leticia, you'll definitely get the hang of it.
His niceness was so alarming because I noticed that although he's usually nice to other staff, he's extremely nice to me. I had to ask one day while we were eliminating some appointments from his schedule.

"Not that I'm complaining, but why are you always nice to me?" I quipped.
Liam smiled and said, "I'm always nice to everyone."
I shook my head and corrected myself. "No... the right word is extremely nice to me."
"Well... You want the truth?" He asked.
"I thought we agreed on the day of my interview," I answered back.
"That's a fair point," He nodded his head in approval and he continued, "The truth is you remind me of my mother. She was as sweet and as thoughtful as you are." He stared into space like he was reminiscing old memories.

I couldn't help but be curious, so I asked, "She was? Isn't your mom still alive? I thought you took pictures with her in one gala last week?"
Liam laughed, "You stalk my Instagram account?"
I blushed shyly and responded, "More like I follow you on Instagram."
Liam didn't buy it though but he let it go.
"She's my step-mother. My mom died of ovarian cancer when I was ten years old, and my dad married my step-mother when I was fifteen cause I kept insisting. My dad withdrew into a shell when my mom died, he was so sad that I knew he needed someone to make him happy again. I'm so grateful my step-mother came into my life because she brought happiness to our lives and brought a lovely brother too. Although we all have our bad times, I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world."

"Does your brother work here? How come I haven't seen him?"
"He went to New York for a business deal. He'll be back soon. Please, my brother is a charmer, don't let him woo you." He warned.
"I'm a single woman and I'm ready to mingle." I joked.
Liam looked like I slapped him in the face. He was so shocked and he didn't even hide it.

I raised my hand in surrender and chuckled, "I was just joking. I really was."
"Thank goodness. For a second, I thought you were serious." He heaved a sigh of relief before he now continued talking, "Thanks for listening to my rant."
"Thanks for sharing with me."
"Don't tell anyone what I just told you else I'll spill your weird obsession with coffee mocha mixed with coconut oil." He threatened jokingly.
"I've got more dirt on you shoeless CEO." I grinned.
He gasped loudly and said, "You wouldn't dare."
"I wouldn't be too sure." I laughed.
He shook his head and smiled before we both continued what we were doing.
I'm so happy I met Liam, no matter the circumstances we met.  
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Do you want to eat lunch with me?" Liam asked, when we finished working the third week I started working here.
I frowned in regret and shook my head.

"I'm so sorry, but I already promised Joanna that we'll eat lunch together."
"Should I be offended that you're more popular than I am in this company. Everybody wants to eat lunch with you." He frowned slightly.
"Nobody wants to ask their boss to lunch. It'll be so weird and awkward." I said as we exit the elevator.

"That's true... But keep your tomorrow free cause I'm definitely taking you for lunch. If it helps, we're going for business as well as having lunch, so keep your day free." He warned trying his best to look firm.
"Yes, boss." I saluted him.
He just shook his head and laughed at my silliness.

I was about to leave when I heard a familiar voice practically yelling at the receptionist. I told Liam to go on cause I need to check something out. Luckily he didn't say anything and just left.

I went to the reception and tapped the person on the shoulder. I didn't even hide my blazing anger.
"What in the world are you doing here?"