Chapter 15. A whiff of something

Michael and I continued to hang out on no certain terms. I didn't try to kiss him or expect him to kiss me. We would hold hands and hug but that we the extent of it. We just didn't talk about it. Maybe it was the elephant in the room but I didn't care. If this was all I got, and only until his mate showed up then I would just enjoy the time I had. I knew when his mate showed up it would break my heart but I just pushed that thought away.

Days passed, we spent most of them altogether as a group, usually with Amy and Thomas too. The guys were now totally comfortable around me and it was somehow starting to feel normal being surrounded by supernaturals. I felt alive. Every day I would wake up a little different, a little stronger. It felt like a weight was slowly being removed from my shoulders.

It's been about a week since I took off my necklace. I seem to have finally grown into my body. I no longer resembled a 12 year old. My hair is now glossy and shiny, my eyes sparkle and are now bright blue. My skin almost seems to glow and is developing a nice tan thanks to all the time spend outdoors. I have even filled out with nice curves. From my picture last year to this year you would think at least 5 years had gone by.

The voice in my head was becoming more vocal and stronger it seemed, but still weak at times. She would make snide remarks every once in awhile and basically drooled over Michael. I was starting to almost feel her emotions every now and then as well. If I wasn't surrounded by supernaturals maybe I'd think I was crazy, but now, crazy is the new normal. So far no one had said anything about my necklace. I know Michael had noticed but didn't mention it. As I figured, with time away from the necklace the shocking people and headaches completely stopped. I was the happiest I had ever been.

We would randomly talk about the supernatural stuff. They were curious how I found out so I had to tell the whole story briefly, skipping the parts about my necklace. It really was hard to believe all that has happened. I slowly asked questions to fill in blanks that I had. Most of the time everyone was open and happy to answer my questions.

One night we were sitting by the fire talking and joking around, it had now been 10 days since I took my necklace off. It was July so the heat was starting to get intense. The guys were wearing cut off shirts or no shirts at all, Thomas included. Brie had on a black spaghetti tank top with jean shorts. Amy was wearing a casual flowery maxi dress that touched the floor, and I was wearing a white sundress. I felt like someone was bound to point out the missing necklace but I was too hot to care. As if reading my mind, Jacob asked about it.

"Noel, where did your necklace go? I noticed we weren't getting shocked anymore and just realized when I looked that you weren't wearing it anymore." Jacob asked innocently, but I felt everyone's gaze turn to me apart from Michael who was already aware I wasn't wearing it. I'm not surprised they'd noticed I'd been wearing a silver necklace. Something that can potentially hurt them is bound to get their attention.

"Noel, where is it!?" Amy exclaimed. I still wasn't going to admit about the voice in my head but wanted to be as truthful as I could.

"I just felt like it was time to take it off. I haven't been wearing it for over a week now." I replied with a sigh, Michael squeezed my hand.

Amy looked confused and worried, Thomas looked mad. Everyone else just looked puzzled. Thomas jumped to his feet and walked over to me. As he neared, Michael and I stood to our feet and Michael moved in front of me.

"Move boy! I need to speak with Noel!" Thomas thundered, I cowered behind Michael.

Michael replied calmly, "you're scaring her. Whatever Noel does is her decision not yours."

Thomas softened at first but by the time Michael finished speaking he tensed up again and clenched his fists.

"I have known her long before you did. What she did was dangerous! I just want to protect her, to keep her safe." Thomas hotly replied.