Chapter 9: Help

It has been a few weeks since Y/n, Sistine, and the little dragon had seen any signs of Naofumi and the other heroes.

Over the few weeks, Y/n and Sistine had watch the little dragon grow rather quickly. He didn't seem to be fully grown, but just enough where he could carry one or the other when needed. The dragon also kept his playful personality, which was helpful for Sistine at nights when she missed her home.

Y/n decided to name him Toothless, it seemed fitting for him. Though it looked like Toothless was closer to Sistine, Y/n had a great bond as well.

The trio was currently sleeping in a wooded area, far from any major country. Sistine's head was laying on Toothless' stomach, while the dragon curled up around her. Y/n propped himself on a rock and had his cowboy hat tilted down to cover his eyes.

However, a noise had awoken both Y/n and Toothless. Y/n quickly grabbed his pistol and cocked the hammer back.

Rustling through the bushes nearby, two individuals had appeared, both startled to see an unfamiliar weapon pointed at them and a dragon ready to maul them down. They quickly raised their arms up in defense.

"W-wait! We are just passing through to get to our village!" One them stated. Y/n had a cold hard gaze fixed on them.

"Please, we mean no harm" the other one pleaded.

Y/n waved his gun off to the side signaling for them to go on, Toothless started to growl as well.

One of them walked away immediately, but the other had to take a second look at Y/n.

"Y-you wouldnt happen to a cardinal Hero wouldn't you? The one where the spear hero was beaten by?"

Y/n looked back to the person and nodded. "But calling me a cardinal hero is a stretch. Motoyasu had that ass whopping coming for him."

"I cant believe it! Jay! Look! He can help us and the village!"

This Jay person looked relieved to see a hero in his presence. This spark Y/n's curiosity.

"Now wait just a damn minute" Y/n spoke while standing up. "What do you mean by that?"

Jay, who looked exhausted, came a bit closer towards Y/n, but Toothless shot up quickly, making Sistine fall back and hit her head. She woke up and rubbed her head.

"Easy boah, I dont think they're here to harm us" Y/n gestured Toothless to stand down.

"Owwww" Sistine rubbed her head. She opened her eyes to see Y/n looking at Toothless and two unknown men looking really nervous now. "What's going on?"

"Well, these two fellers came walking through and it woke me and Toothless up. One of them recognized me as a hero and have claimed I can help their village."

"It's true! A hero can help us!" The unknown man replied.

Y/n crossed his arms, "One of ya is named Jay, but I haven't been given your name and what exactly I can do to help ya and your village."

"I've stated Jay's name and mine is Gen, we were out scouting the area." Gen replied.

"Okay, but what can Y/n do to help the village?" Sistine questioned Gen.

This made both of the younger men lower their heads.

"We were seeing of any signs of a magic user that has murdered a few of our people" Jay answered.

"Wait what?" Both Y/n and Sistine replied.

"Its true" Gen continued, "We're one of the stronger ones in the village and they had sent us to scout the area for any traces of such."