[6]: Townie

[Leilani's POV]

        Alex has run into a hardware store to grab a few things, leaving me to window shop at a small clothing boutique a few stores down from it.  I was looking at a beautiful red formal dress in the window, picturing what I would look like when I heard his voice.

"Leilani, is that you?"

        I turned around to face him, with a smile on my face.

"Scott, Right?"

"Yes, yes it is.  Fancy running into you here.  Twice in one day.  I could call that fate." he said and then winked at me.

Feeling in a playful mood, I responded. "Oh yes, I guess we were destined to be together forever!"

"Why aren't you being forward my dear.  I always have had a weak spot for women who know what they want.  Me." he said laughing, while pointing at himself.

"Why aren't you the flirt, Mr. Winterstone."

"At your service, madam." he said, as he bowed to me causing me to laugh.

"So what brings you into town?"

"Oh I thought I would just window shop.  I haven't been in town for awhile, and wanted to get out of the house. You?"

"Oh, just picking up supplies.  Would you like to grab a cup of coffee next door and talk?"

"Sure." I stated as we began walking to the small coffee house next door to the boutique.

After placing our order, and Scott paying for both, we found a small table and sat down.

"So Scott what did you want to talk about?"

"First, please tell me if I am prying too much, and tell me to shut up if I am asking any too personal."

"Okay?" I said puzzled.

"Well, I am not a stupid man, and when Damien called you his mate today, I put two and two together.  That meant that Rachel was never his mate, correct."

"Smart man, aren't you?"

"Sorry, if I offended you."

"No, you didn't.  I just don't know where you are going with this conversation.  Or why it's any of your business."

        I took in Scott's appearance then, as he sat back in his chair with a sigh.  He was quite attractive.  His dark wavy hair was longer than Damien's and ending at the collar of his shirt.  His eyes blue to Damien's green.  But he was by far a very attractive man, and if all the lingering looks the women in the coffee shop indicated, I was not the only once to think so.  But he had a haggard look about him.  As if stress weighed down on him, or he hadn't slept in a few days.  Not enough to for it to be apparent when looking at him, unless you looked closely, as I was doing now.  Just then, his sad eyes looked up into my grey ones.

"Because if I am right about your situation, then I believe we have something similar in common.  Per say, at least."

"What exactly does Damien rejected me have anything to do with you?" I said a little bit annoyed.

"Not the rejection part, but perhaps the, hmm, feelings one gets when their mates fuck someone else?  Pardon my French, if my words seem vulgar." I hear him say, with barely hidden anger.

Wanting to make sure I understood what he was saying, I asked.  "Are you talking about the pain?"

"Yes, that."

"You've felt it?" I asked a little shocked.

"Unfortunately, the answer to your question is yes."

"I'm sorry Scott, that pain is not something I would even wish on my enemy."

"Yes." he nods.

"So I mean, I guess.  I just thought since you would understand.  I don't know.  I figured I could talk to you about it.  That you would understand." I watched as he just stared into his coffee, immobile. 

I reached for his hand that was on the handle of his coffee cup. "I understand, Scott. And I am sorry."

He looked at me then.  "Thanks, Leilani.  I haven't been able to talk about it with anyone.  Then Damien called you his mate, and I just thought.  I don't know what I thought.  Relief maybe? I mean, not that I am relieved you felt that pain, but that there was someone else out there that knew what I was feeling.  How I was feeling.  Someone who could share the burden I have too?"

"I get what you are saying Scott.  Do you want to talk about it?"

"Yes, I do."

        He then proceeded to tell me about his mate and Luna, Elise.  How they had met by chance, and how she he had been shocked that she was a human.  But no matter what, he had loved her.  How they had created a life together, and everything was perfect.  At least he had thought so, but a few months ago she had cheated on him.  Ripping his heart out.  He had found out of her cheating the same way I could tell when Damien was with Rachel.  The burning inferno of pain that consumed us, but seemed to not affect humans.   How he so desperately wanted to set her aside for her infidelity, but he couldn't.  He loved her too much.  And as I sat there, my heart bled for this man, and his pain.  Wanting to offer him comfort.

"I am so sorry Scott." I stated to him once he had finished.

"God, it feels good to tell someone all of this.  And know they understand.  I don't know how I can thank you for this Leilani."

"That's easy.  You can repay me by being my friend."

"Friend? Don't you have enough of those? What would you want with a broken man like me as a friend?"

"You're not broken.  Just hurt.  And I'll let you on a little secret. I have a little thing for unwanted mutts.  Just ask Damien, I took him in. " My statement causing him to laugh.

"Did you just call Damien a mutt? Wait, did you just call me a mutt?"

"Why yes I did, sir.." I flashed him a smile.

"You, my dear, have a smart mouth on your persons." He said while standing up.

"I hate to leave you here, but I need to get back to my territory." he stated as he reached into his pocket. "Here's my card, call me if you ever need to talk okay?"

"Sure, hold on." I rummaged through my purse and found a pen.  Scribbling my number quickly on the napkin under my coffee, and then handing it to him.

"Take this as well.  You call me too if you ever need to as well."

I watched as he put the napkin in his pocket.  "Thanks again for listen.  Bye, and have a good day."

"You too." And then he walked out the door.

        Thinking to myself, it was nice having someone else to talk to that understood me.  Just as I was about to leave, Alex came walking in the front door.  The tiny bell above it announcing his arrival.

"Lei, you ready to go?"

        Shaking my head yes, and smiling.  This had been a wonderful day, I had made my first new friend, and I had driven for the first time today.  Today was the start of my many firsts.