[10]: To New Beginnings

I followed Alex out of the front door, onto the porch.  A few late arriving guest walking past us inside.  Some greeting us as they do.  As the last guests enter the house.  I see Alex turn towards me.

"What is it that you wanted to speak to me about Alex?"

"You damn well know what the fuck I want to talk to you about.  Don't act stupid, its not a good look on you."

"Alex.  I understand your anger, but you will NOT speak to me like that.  As your Alpha, you will not use that tone with me."

"I don't give a shit if you are my Alpha right now.  I am talking as a brother."

"Go ahead then.  Say what it is you want."

Alex began pacing back and forth.  Anger making his movements jerky.  Not saying anything for a few minutes as he collected his thoughts.

"You know, you were like a brother to me, Damien.  I respected you. I loved you.  I followed your word, not because you were my Alpha, but because you were my friend.  MY FRIEND!  I trusted you!  And this whole time, this whole time you were hurting my sister.  I don't know if I am more angry at you for hurting her, or the fact that you broke my trust.  You don't fucking deserve her."

"You're right."

"What? Right about what?"

"I don't deserve her.  I never have, and I probably never will. I can never apologize enough to her, or to you.  I didn't go out to hurt her Alex, or you.  You have to know that.  I guess, I was too blind in my selfishness to see anything other that what I thought was right for me.  You grew up with me, you must remember how my father was.  Always demanding me of my duties.  I never really had a choice growing up for anything else, but being an Alpha.  So when I met Rachel, I thought I could finally make a choice for myself.  Just once.  That doesn't excuse me from what I have done, but it is my reasoning.  Justified or not.  Just know, that I love your sister.  And if it takes the rest of my life to make up for my mistakes. I will, and that goes to you  as well, my friend."

"Those are pretty words, Damien.  But actions speak louder than words."

"Yes, they do.  But for what its worth, Alex, I am sorry."

I watch as his anger dissipates, and his shoulders slump a bit.  Some of the air leaving him.

"You know, it takes a lot of work being angry.  And I think I also took a bit more out on you too, because I was angry at my self as well.  Especially realizing I had also failed her.  You were an easy target to put all the blame on.  That doesn't mean you didn't royally fuck up, but I have to take some accountability it in all.  Don't I?"

"I think we both failed her in some way.  Mine worse maybe, because I am her mate.  I don't know.  But I know that us fighting, and carrying on like we have with one another, isn't helping either of us.  We need to somehow find a way to move past this, if not for us, but for her.  We both love her."

"You're right.  I am willing to let the past, be just that, the past.  But I swear to God, Damien, if you hurt her again.  I will not be held accountable for what I do to you."

"Duly noted my friend.  Now, can we please go back inside to our beautiful women?"

"Yes. Let's go."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

[Leilani's POV]

          I watch as Damien and Alex step outside, hoping that they don't tear each other apart.  Praying that they somehow find a way to bury the hatchet, and end this grunge they have going on between them.  It is getting very tiresome for me, trying to be a mediator for the two.  I didn't want to be caught in the middle anymore.  I turn as I hear my name.

"Hello Leilani."

"Hello there, Scott.  I am so glad you could make it." as I turn to him, I notice a striking blonde woman on his arm. "May I introduce you to Elise.  Elise, Leilani.  Leilani, Elise."

I stiffen at meeting her, remembering what Scott had told me only a few days ago.  Though polite for his benefit, I did not like the woman for hurting him. 

"Good evening, Elise.  I hope you are enjoying your evening."

I watch as she lowers her eyes to the ground.  Her shoulders slumping with lack of confidence.

"Yes, thank you for inviting us here tonight."

"You are most welcome." 

Scott then removes his arm from Elise's hand, and turns to her.  "My dear, will you excuse me for a second.  I need to talk to Leilani privately."

        Before waiting for his response he ushers me through the back door into the empty backyard, since guests had not gone outside yet.  I was a little taken aback by how rudely, he had left Elise, but having known what I knew, I could understand.

"The dress looks lovely on you by the way."

"Oh yes, thank you very much.  It is perfect.  But I gather you didn't bring me out here to talk about my dress."

"No, I didn't.  I just wanted to thank you in person for listening to me again, and helping me through this."

"Oh no need to thank me for that.  What are friends for?  But thank you again for the lovely dress, you didn't have to. But I appreciate it very much." I stated as I leaned in to give him a hug.

Just as we were hugging, the backdoor opened, and Damien stood there.  His eyes darting back and forth between us.

"Am I interrupting something here?"

"Oh, you were just interrupting me trying to convince this beautiful woman to leave with me. You, Damien?"

"You better be joking, Scott."

"Well duh.  Thought you were wayyyy smarter, dumby."

"Watch it friend.  I suggest you get your hands off my lovely mate, and go find your own.  Jerk"

"Do I have to??" I hear him say in a child-like voice. 

"You're an idiot, you know that?" I say back to him, chuckling.

"Eh, that's not the worst then you have ever called me.  So I will take it as a compliment.  Thanks again for the invite.  I think it is time for me to leave you two lovebirds to your own devices." He bowed and left us.

"So what was that about, little one?"

"Oh nothing, he just wanted to speak with me about some stuff.  Nothing important really. Let's go inside."

"Okay. I guess."

 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

[Unknown POV]

        What a pretty little speech he had given.  I remember a similar one he had said just a few short months ago.  Finicky man.