Five

Jennie is standing still, surrounded by absolutely nothing.

The pristine white background stretches in all directions, not a single shadow altering the void.

She can't move. Her legs seem attached to the floor and her arms remain stoic besides her body.

She can think, unfortunately.

She's desperately trying to force her limbs to react, her mind screaming in fear.

Something is happening.

A distant voice begins to increase volume, Jennie's heart beating fast against her chest. Almost humanly.

She barely distinguishes few words, her terror partially clouding her mind.

She can't speak either.

Compassion, Jennie recognizes, magnanimity and grace.

Mortis, ánima, moralis.

Ordinato, punitus.

Punishment, the voice states.

Punishment, it screams.

Suddenly, devastating waves start to crash against Jennie's immobile body, filling up the void with blurs of deep gray and faint blue.

Jennie's feet stay attached to the floor as a throbbing ache starts to stab her lungs.

Humánitas, she hears despite the deep waters surrounding her ears.

Her lungs can't hold air anymore, her nature prompting her to take a deep breath; waves finally reaching their goal, filling everything up, lethal.

Jennie wakes up.

Her whole body launches forwards, her heart beating uncomfortably fast against her ribcage.

Her chest rises and falls quickly as she breathes almost desperately, a thin layer of sweat coating her forehead.

Jennie blinks rapidly, disoriented for a second, until her mind is awake enough to clear some memories.

Lisa.

As in cue, a soft knock on the door finally snaps Jennie out of her stupor.

"Yes?" she manages to say, her voice a bit strangled.

She's happy she can talk, anyway.

"Sorry I'm bothering you, but breakfast is ready. I made some pancakes!" Lisa raises her pitch a bit at the end and Jennie feels inexplicably calmer, "You can stay longer in bed if you want, though".

"No, I'll join you. Just give me a minute".

"Take two if you want!" Lisa half-screams again, happiness lacing her voice.

Jennie doesn't feel like complaining when her feet touch the carpeted floor.

-

"Jennie, aren't you bored yet?"

The brunette is sprawled in the grey couch, Leo happily having a nap on top of her tights. She has been watching the TV series Lisa introduced her the night before for a bit more than two hours.

She's not bored, evidently, the show appears to become just a bit more sarcastic as chapters pass through, but her legs are indeed starting to feel a bit numb. On top of that, the blonde sitting on the black wooden desk a few meters away has been sighing loudly since she closed the laptop she was working with.

Jennie doesn't know why, but Lisa's almost childish impatience makes her chest warm up in endearment. She has to fight a smile.

"I guess I've watched enough", the brunette states, looking over the blonde discreetly, "Do you want to watch something yourself?"