Twelve

Hanael is standing on the top of a cliff, looking down.

There is a gelid hand pressed against her shoulder.

Bellow, she can see the way in which loads of sand meet the deep ocean under a dark night.

The moon is hidden, almost anticipating the horror of the following events.

There is a girl crying just a few meters away the blue waters. Her hair, almost as black as the night itself, falls forwards, hiding her face.

"She asked for it", the fellow Virtue whispers in Hanael's ear, "She is too weak to deserve compassion".

The angel nods.

"We have seen true suffering. We have seen famines, warfare and murder. That human, instead...she is unhappy because she wants to. A dysfunctional family. Please, what kind of being can't deal with that?".

The sobbing brunette stops for a minute. She stands up slowly.

The Virtue sighs condescendingly.

"If humans had to work harder for what they are given, just like us, they wouldn't be such despicable, disgusting creatures."

Hanael stays silent, but nods in agreement.

The human girl walks towards the calm sea, tears still pooling from her eyes.

"It makes me furious", the Virtue growls against Hanael's ear, "Those inutile, obtuse, weak creatures get easily favored with heaven. They are the lowest of the classes! The scums of the Universe! They should have let us eliminate them when we asked!"

Hanael starts to feel a choler burning in her heart and spreading throughout her whole body without control.

Humánitas, malum.

"Just look at that repulsive creature", the Virtue tells Hanael as the human dives into blue, "She does not appreciate the gift of life, but she does not want to let herself perish, neither."

The girl emerges from water some time later, her face slightly swollen.

If you don't want to be embraced by death, human, stop dancing around with it.

The angel shakes in fury.

"Don't you wish to do something about it?"

"Yes", Hanael growls, anger being finally voiced, "It's a shame we have our hands tied."

"Do we?", the Virtue asks, his tone dangerous, "You are the most powerful among us, Hanael".

"That does not spare me from Ordinátio".

Bellow, the brunette keeps swimming, unknowing.

The virtue sighs.

"We would be contributing. We would be cleaning."

Hanael doesn't answer.

"We can work undercover. No other celestial creature has to find out. And even if they do, they cannot punish you too harshly, Hanael. You are the most admired of the Virtues".

The highly estimated angel stays silent.

Her fellow Virtue is right. They would be cleansing Earth. They would be starting a revolution.

The thought of glory fills her mind, poisoning.

"Nobody has to know", the Virtue murmurs in her ear, deceiving, "Just let the tide rise a bit".

Hanael steps forwards, just at the edge of the cliff. She spreads the fingers of her left hand, her palm facing above.

On Earth, the clouds start to cover the summer sky.