001

INFINITE ━ CHAPTER ONE✧ AFTERLIFE ✧

INFINITE CHAPTER ONE
✧ AFTERLIFE ✧

━━━━✧━━━━

THE AFTERLIFE IS AN UNUSUAL SUBJECT. It is heaven to some people, a point where space and time no longer exist, where souls knew nothing but bliss. For others, it is hell, a scorching fire, or sentenced to punishments unique to each individual. Perhaps, others believe in the afterlife as life reincarnated, a second chance to rewrite their faults in the previous life.

Whatever the afterlife was, heaven or hell, Brooklyn Natalie welcomed whatever the universe decided she deserved. She, after all, willingly put her soul on the line when she cast the Camdever Curse on Barry's behalf. She was the Legend, a founding member of the Justice League, who defended the Earth from threats they could not even begin to comprehend. Her past, however, was a different story. She was the Gotham Archer, a tale just as feared as the Batman on the streets. Her efforts did some good, but the persona also cast a shadow on her soul. While the Legend was the light, the angel on her shoulder, the Gotham Archer was the devil, the reckless, darker side of her.

Brooklyn Natalie already lived multiple lives in her lifetime, which was probably why she least expected the kind of afterlife she was doomed into. She had woken up in a cell, wearing the same clothes as she had been before the Flashpoint was created. She was certain that it was not Blackgate Prison nor was it Arkham Asylum; the cell was too well-maintained to be either. Fluorescent lights hung from the ceiling, a camera propped at the corner, and the single bed she woke up in was built onto the wall. Not to mention, the cell was glass instead of bars, which was definitely not Gotham.

If she could take a guess, her punishment in the afterlife mimicked the justice of politics, a trial or time served in jail. Confused, she looked down at her attire: Hal's flight jacket over her shirt and jeans. There was comfort in noticing the familiar silver chain around her neck, and as she held it, she noticed her two bands on her ring finger. Her engagement ring and her wedding ring still remained, leading her to wonder what that meant. When she pulled her pendant from beneath her shirt, the military dog tag still had the same custom writing embossed on it:

WAYNE, BROOKLYN NATALIE JONES
JUL-15-1992              AF
BLUE

Her thumb caressed the letters on her dog tag. She never served in the army nor did the Justice League carry around dog tags on themselves like soldiers. This was an anniversary gift from Hal when they were dating, and Brooklyn took in a shaky breath as she focused on the four letters that were in place of where the blood type would be.

Blue. That was Hal's nickname for her, one he coined when they first met. Blue was the color of her magic, and he chose to call her by that on the battlefield instead of her then persona the Gotham Archer.

"The Gotham Archer's way too long," She could still hear his voice quipping back at her.

The memory played in her head again. She had called him "Glowstick" prior, joking that it was more accurate than Green Lantern. Both of them were too stubborn to call each other by their proper names, and so the names stuck till the end.