006

INFINITE ━ CHAPTER SIX✧ HEROES ✧

INFINITE CHAPTER SIX
✧ HEROES ✧

━━━━✧━━━━

HEROES REPRESENT DIFFERENT THINGS to different people, but one thing was for certain: a hero—whether fueled by their courage, their selflessness, or their vigilance—saves lives. They embody the light in darkness, the hope amidst despair, and love in spite of sorrow. They not only respected people; they recognized the value of each life and honored their dignity as an individual. Hence, every life is worth saving, and every person deserves a second chance.

But there comes a time where heroes have to face reality: they cannot be everywhere at once, and in turn, they cannot save everyone in this world regardless of their extraordinary capabilities. There will be lives lost due to factors out of their control, and herein lies the question:

Which ones were worth saving?

Brooklyn Natalie has seen death. In fact, she has faced it — stared death in the eye, cheated it, fell victim to it and eventually, gave in to it. Death has taken everything from her, but there was no escaping the guilt and the grief it continues to leave behind.

As Director Fury tossed a handful of bloodied cards on the table, it illustrated the dream Agent Coulson lived up until his last moments: to work with his lifetime idols.

"These were in Phil Coulson's jacket," Fury uttered, breaking the silence. "Guess he never did get you to sign them,"

Brooklyn only felt guilt for the bright-eyed man, who radiated nothing but enthusiasm and good intentions since she had met him. Beside her, Steve gravely leaned forward to pick up one of the Captain America trading cards. Tony, who was two seats away from the brunette, could not bring himself to even look in its direction.

"We're dead in the air up here. Our communications, location of the cube, Banner, Thor... I got nothing for you," Fury relayed. He sighed, pacing around the center table. "Lost my one good eye. Maybe I had that coming,"

"Cards on the table, Director," Brooklyn demanded, staring him down. "What was this really about?"

Fury looked at the archer. She said nothing more, but he knew very well that she wanted the truth about the mission, one that he claimed was merely an extraction mission for Agent Clint Barton.

"Yes, we were going to build an arsenal with the Tesseract," He admitted. "I never put all my chips on that number though, because I was playing something even riskier...,

"There was an idea, Stark knows this, called The Avengers Initiative. The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people, see if they could become something more. See if they could work together when we needed them to, to fight the battles that we never could... Phil Coulson died still believing in that idea, in heroes,"