Chapter 4 - Missing

It's 9:58 when I get a call. And I know it's my mom. I mean it has to be, she's the only person whose contact I have in my phone right now.

I can't lie, I'm worried since I my mom usually never stays out for five hours straight without calling.

So as soon as I'm jolted awake by the vibration of my phone, I pick up.

"Sweetie, it's mom. I meant to tell you what you needed to know. You don't understand it yet but-"

"Mom, mom! Slow down, is everything ok?"

"No, it isn't. And I'm so sorry, I'm so sorr---"

The line went dead.

I picked up the phone and redialed.

Static... Then:

"Hello." The voice does not belong to my mother.

I drop the phone so quick it hits the floor. I kneel down on the floor and hit the speaker.

"I know that you are there", says the creepy voice again.

"I know that you are there... because I can see you."

I get up and immediately run to the window. There's no one outside.

I look out the doorway to my room. I-

WAIT. I never opened the door. In fact, I locked it before going back to sleep.

So who opened the door? I quickly get up and shut and lock the door.

"Locking the door won't help."

Okay, now I'm definitely freaking out. I just want to hit the end call button, but I'm interested in what he has to say. What if he knows where my mother is...

"So..", I say, trying to keep him on the phone longer. "So, you can see me, huh?"

No response.

"Do you think I'm scared?"

"I know your scared. Which is perfectly acceptable. As I know everything about you and you know nothing about me. But enough with the chit-chat. I'll let you know what you want to know-"

"And what do I want to know?"

"Where your mother is."

"You took my mother?!"

"Don't be foolish, child. You knew I had her from the moment I answered your call. Or at least you knew that something was wrong."

"Where is she?"

"With your father."

"My father went missing-"

"Yes, yes. Save me the sob story... He went missing eight years ago... sad ever since... I already know."

"If you know all this already why patronize me over the phone. Why not show yourself?"

Silence. I almost thought he hung up, when he said:

"Because that's not the way we do things."

And then he ended the call.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I unlocked my door, opened it, ran down the stairs, and burst through the front door. I stood at the top of the steps. I looked out into the night at a pair of blinding headlights in my driveway.

No. No. No. No.

I don't need some other creepy person in this creepy town to come and barge into my life right now. What I need right now is to think.

I looked up as I saw none other than the bad boy himself: Torin Carter.

With the way this guy just glided out of the car, you would think we were in some movie. He was wearing a black leather jacket, dark blue jeans, and black tims. And I guess he thought it would be more suitable to come by house in an expensive car, instead of an expensive motorcycle.

Okay hold on, I never even told him where my house was. I never even spoke to him in the first place. He just randomly stared at me. So why was he here?

"Hi Alina, I'm Torin."

"I know."

He didn't even look surprised by the hard edge to my voice.

"So, I'm guessing that you know me from... What Vince told you about me."

"And also your creepy staring..."

"Alright, let's cut to the chase. I need you to come with me."

"Okay, no. Let's get one thing straight. I do whatever I want. I don't know who you are, or what your trying to do. But ever since I've arrived in Serenity, everything's been going wrong. My mom went out and now she's missing, I don't want to be here, I just got a creepy call from someone telling me- "

Torin walked towards me and cut me off by putting his hand over my mouth.

"You just got a call from who?", said Torin slowly.

"I - I, he didn't say-"

"It was a he, a guy?"

"Um... yeah, with a British accent."

Torin's eyes went blank.

"Torin?"

"I know who could've done this. I know who took your mother. But I don't know why."

"Look, I appreciate you suddenly trying to help me and all. But I don't need your help. I just need time to think and-"

"No, you look. I'm not trying to help you because I want to... It's because I need to."

"You know what, okay. Okay, that's just wonderful! Where do we start?"

"We start with you losing the attitude and being a little more grateful. Then you need to come with me."

"Why?"

"Because it seems that I have a lot of explaining to do."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So for everyone whos been reading along since chapter one, in the next chapter you'll finally understand what this book is really about. So just hold on, because it's only getting better. More surprise are coming. Vote and comment. Thanks for reading. :)