Chapter 7 - And the Search Begins

The rest of the day passed without much more excitement. Me, Vince, Torin, and Mira ate lunch together. But I'm pretty sure that Mira knows something's up between Vince and Torin. Mira pulled me to the side and spoke to me after the boys left, after lunch.

She basically told me that me and her would have to somehow calm things down between the two boys. She said that Ms. Keaton doesn't appreciate fighting between anyone in school, especially one of us.

And Mira also told me more. All about the guardians and what they do. Apparently, the guardians are special, sort of like angels on earth. Their jobs are to pick someone, anyone, to protect. The guardians know when someone is in trouble, will be in trouble, or might come across trouble. So, yeah they play a pretty important role in the world.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I got home, I went straight to my room and threw myself on the bed. I've only spent a couple a days and so far: there are two boys fighting over me, I'm important to a demon war, my mother's missing, etc.

And that's exactly what I'm worried about. Torin said he'd take me demon hunting, which I am pretty sure will be very unsafe. I don't even know how to find the other match to my sock in my room, and this guy expects me to trek through the world hunting demons with him?

Just then my phone vibrated. 1 new message

Great. Speaking of the devil... Well, technically speaking of the angel. Anyways, I opened up the message to see what he said.

Still on for tonight. I'll be over in ten minutes, bringing you something to eat on the way. Wear dark clothing. Preferably black. Hope you like taco bell. :)

I immediately felt myself start to blush. I dropped the phone and watched it fall on my comforter with a soft thud.

What am I doing? I can't start to have feelings for him. All he's doing is helping me find my mother... And bringing me taco bell... And there was a smiley face a the end of...

NO. NO. NO.

I can't start allowing myself to have feelings for him. There's Vince and... Wait, Vince. Do I have feelings for Vince?

Ugggghh!!! I need to stay focused. The boys can wait... for now.

I moved to my closet to pick out some black clothes for tonight's event.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He picked me up exactly ten minutes later, just like said. As I jumped into the passenger seat of his sleek, black Escalade I noticed a bag in the rearview mirror. I looked in the backseat.

There was a bulging, black bag just laying on the seat.

I looked over at Torin. "Umm? Torin, what's that?"

"What?", he replied.

"What's in the bag in the back?"

"An arsenal of the finest demon-hunting weapons, supplies, and tools. All you'll ever need to locate your nearest demon." Torin burst out laughing, after seeing the expression on my face.

"You have special weapons to hunt demons?"

"Yup", he said with a huge smile. "Those back there are my babies. Everyone of them has probably been used at least once."

"Wait a minute. What exactly do you mean by demon hunting? Do we seriously have to kill these things?"

"No, don't worry. Any killing shouldn't be necessary-"

"Shouldn't?"

"That's my 'just in case' bag of tricks."

"Okay then..."

"So here's the deal. Our main objective is to find the nearest demon, and get him to fess up."

"That's it?"

"Well, it's harder than it sounds."

"Okay, so how to we find one?"

"Well, we'll look all the usual places. Abandoned buildings, rotting cemeteries, creepy swamps, maybe the forest..."

"WHAT?!"

"What's wrong, Alina? Scared of the dark?" Torin smirked.

I playfully smacked him on the arm.

"No, I'm just scared of what lives in it."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When we arrived at our destination, I realized something. He never told me exactly where we were going. And now I know why.

It was 9:33 when reached the old Serenity Cemetery. Now, I'm not easily spooked or anything but... When it comes to cemeteries I prefer to stay away.

Torin and I unbuckled our seat belts and hopped out of the car. He immediately went to the back for his 'bag of tricks'. He reached into the black bag and pulled out a small, glassy, sphere. He was staring at it with an air of respect. To me it just looked like a fancy crystal ball.

Torin held the object in front of my face.

"This", he said, "is a demon caller."

I stopped and gave him a look.

"Hold up, you didn't say we'd be summoning demons. From all the books I've read, summoning up mystical creatures to do your bidding doesn't work.! All it does is land you in big, big trouble."

Torin let out a laugh.

"We are summoning one demon, singular not plural. And I've got a bag full of weapons... Just in case, of course."

We looked at each other, trying to remain serious, and then we burst out laughing. It took us about five minutes to finish having our weird little outburst. Then I cleared my throat.

"So now what?"

"Well, all I'm gonna do is call up a demon by looking through the demon caller, and the nearest one will appear."

"Okay, I have a feeling that it isn't that simple."

"Well, let's just see about that."

He gave me a small smile and picked up the demon caller.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So... A little bit more dialogue in this chapter. But I promise more action is coming soon. Thanks for reading. Vote and comment please. I'm going to try and get at least a chapter done each day. :)