02

Through the Wardrobe

〰️

Lenna had been in the cupboard for only a couple of minutes when she heard shouting. She opened the door of the wardrobe and stuck her head out making eye contact with Susan as she came up out of the trunk.

"Was that Lucy?" Lenna asked. Susan nodded and they both climbed out and hurried to where they could hear talking.

"Does this mean Lenna and I have won?" Susan said as she and Lenna came to find the other three standing in the corridor.

"I don't think Lucy wants to play anymore," Peter said sadly.

"I've been gone for hours," Lucy said. Gone? What did she mean? Where had she been?

"What? Where have you been?" Lenna questioned, clearly voicing everyone else's confusion.

Lucy took the rest of them to a room with a single wardrobe. Lenna stopped. Something felt weird. She had never entered this room as her father had always kept it locked. The sight of this wardrobe was very very familiar to her. That odd memory feeling that she got after every one of her dreams had returned as she stared at the wardrobe.

"Lenna?" Peter waved a hand in front of the girl's face as she stared directly at the wardrobe. "You alright?"

Lenna blinked rapidly for a moment before she looked at Peter. She had stopped, stock still, frozen in front of the wardrobe and zoned out in thought.

"Yeah, I'm fine," she breathed smiling. Peter smiled back and moved forward. Lenna looked at the wardrobe to see Susan moving the fur coats out the way and knocking inside at the back of the wardrobe. Edmund had moved around behind the wardrobe and was also knocking.

They both came away from the wardrobe after a couple of
minutes.

"Lucy, the only wood in here is the back of the wardrobe," Susan said.

Lenna looked at Lucy. She looked upset and her eyes were looking at her siblings sadly.

"One game at a time Lu. We don't all have your imagination," Peter said sadly. He looked at Lenna and smiled weakly. She smiled back but half heartedly as she watched Lucy's bottom lip tremble.

They moved away from the wardrobe and were about to leave when Lucy shouted.

"But I wasn't imagining."

"That's enough Lucy," Susan said turning around.

"I wouldn't lie about this," Lucy whined.

"Well I believe you," Edmund said. Lenna saw Peter roll his eyes and looked back at Edmund who was trying not to grin.

Edmund what are you playing at?Lenna thought.

"You do?" Lucy asked him, looking confused.