08

The Bargain

〰️

"Narnia's not gonna run out of toast Ed," Lucy laughed as Edmund shoved another piece of toast into his mouth.

Edmund just ignored her as Susan and Lenna giggled. Lenna herself wasn't eating anything, she was too nervous about the prospect of changing into her true form. What if she got stuck and couldn't change back? Would that change the prophecy? What if she was stuck mid change and was half lion half human? No she didn't need to think about that. She shook the image from her head, a small smirk on her face.

"I'm sure they'll pack some up for the journey home," Peter said from where he stood leaning against a rock a little away from the table they were all sat at.

"We're leaving?" Susan asked looking up at the oldest Pevensie.

"You are," Peter said coming to join them. "I promised mum I'd keep you three safe but that doesn't mean I can't stay behind and help."

Anger suddenly flared in Lenna at his words. The prophecy wouldn't work without the four of them. She knew that and she was sure Peter knew that too. They needed all four of them to defeat the white witch.

"But they need us? All four of us," Lucy reminded him.

"Lucy it's too dangerous! You almost drowned! Edmund was nearly killed."

"Which is why we have to stay," Edmund mumbled, head down looking at his plate. "I've seen what the white witch can do and we can't leave this people behind to suffer for it."

"Well at least Edmund has the right idea," Lenna snapped, getting to her feet. The four siblings looked at her in shock. She sent Peter a sharp glare, and began to walk off away from the table.

"Lenna! Wait!"

She span around to meet Peter who nearly fell over her, clearly not expecting her to turn around so suddenly.

"What?" She snapped again.

"I didn't mean to upset you?" He mumbled.

"Apology accepted," Lenna growled and she turned away.

"But you're not happy about it," he called. Lenna rounded on him and for the first time, Peter saw the lioness in her face.

"No I'm not happy about it," Lenna snapped. "This is my home Peter and I have accepted that. I know that this is not yours but it would be nice to know that you supported me in this new change."

"I do support you!" He defended himself. "I just want to protect my family."

"But by sending them back and allowing me and my people to suffer for it, is not how it is going to work!"

"You can't decide if I send them back or not," Peter said. "And weren't you the one doubting the prophecy and the rumours about yourself?"

"That's besides the point Peter!" Lenna cried out. Her initial anger was subsiding but she could feel it being replaced by fear and hurt. "You promised me that you would help me! Help my people and my father! And don't lie to me because I know that you made the promise to my father."