04

The doubt of bravery

〰️

"Hurry mamma! They're after us!" Mr Beaver shouted as soon as him, Peter, Susan, Lucy and Lenna had burst into the dam and out of breath. The wolves were on their tail and they had had to run full pelt down the hill back to the dam.

"Oh right," Mrs Beaver suddenly began pulling things out of cupboards. Bread, cheese, ham, you name it! It was all pulled out and put in to cloths.

"What is she doing?" Peter cried as Mrs Beaver began pulling more bread out. Beaver threw his hands up in disbelief as Susan hurried to help her.

"You'll be thanking me later. It's a long journey and Beaver gets pretty cranky when he's hungry," Mrs Beaver said as she began to wrap food, plates and mugs into cloths.

"I'm cranky now!" Beaver yelled. Lenna could hear snarling and growling from above. She looked at Peter who looked at her, his eyes wide with fear. Lucy clutched at Lenna's hand in terror and she squeezed it to reassure her.

"Do you think we'll need jam?" Susan asked Mrs Beaver.

"Only if the witch serves toast," Peter yelled at her. Susan glared at him and Lenna tried to stifle a laugh as she had found it funny but unfortunately she couldn't hold it back and it ended up coming out as a snort. Susan glared at Lenna too whereas Peter grinned sheepishly at her.

Suddenly the house began to creak as the wolves dug at it to try and get in. It was getting louder and louder and the wolves were getting more frantic as they tore apart the little dam. Lucy clutched her hand tighter and Lenna squeezed it again but she didn't feel very brave. If anything she was terrified!

"Quickly over 'ere!" Beaver opened up a hatch that revealed an entrance to a tunnel. A way out!

Everyone all piled into the tunnel and began to run. The tunnel was dug small and it was clearly for small animals not humans which meant the three Pevensies and Lenna were bent double but the beavers scampered along at ease on all fours. Susan, Lucy and Lenna carried bags of food. Peter held a lamp as did Susan. Lenna still had hold of Lucy's hand whilst trying to run without tripping over.

"Badger and me dug this. Comes out near his place," Beaver called back from the front.

"You told me it led to your mum's," Mrs Beaver said annoyed. Lenna tried not to laugh at that. Now wasn't the time for laughter. They hurried on and Lenna's foot caught on a tree root sending her flying forward and pulling Lucy down with her. The others turned around as they hit the floor.

"Oh gosh! Lucy I'm so sorry," Lenna said to her pulling herself up and then helping her up. The sound of paws hitting hard earth and whimpers and howls met their ears.