Chapter 24

"Steven! Steven! Steven!" Ronaldo knocked at the door, me resting on the couch. I opened the door with Steven. "Go away dude, we're trying to sleep" I said sleepily. "You two have to come to the lighthouse! I've found something weird!" Ronald said. "You've found something weird everyday since my dad got you that telescope " Steven said sleepily. "I know ,I'm amazing. You won't believe my latest discovery! There's something on the moon!" Ronaldo said. ""Can't you call Nanafua?" Steven asked. "Not a fourth time!" Ronaldo said as we followed him to the lighthouse. We looked into the telescope and looked at Ronaldo. "It's just the moon base. It's always been there" Steven shrugged. "You have a moon base?! I have so many questions! One, why didn't you tell me about your moon base? Two, take me to your moon base. Three, why does it look like a barn?" Ronaldo asked as Steven and I looked at each other and gasped. We quickly looked into the telescope and sure enough, there was the barn. My eyes filled with tears as I looked at Steven. "Lapis?!" We gasped at the same time and ran back to Steven's house, got Lion and teleported to the moon. "Thanks Lion. This superwarp takes a lot out of you huh?" Steven asked. Lion yawned and I laughed. "You and me both buddy. Stay here and rest up okay?" I asked Lion as Steven made a bubble and we bounced to the barn. We looked there but no Lapis was to be found. We went back to the moon base and I spotted Serenity's moral. "Oh nice-" I started but there was humming from above. We climbed up the stairs, and sure enough, there was the gem I had missed so much. "Lapis!" Steven and I gasped. Steven and I hugged Lapis and she shivered as she felt tears running down her back, my tears. "I can't believe it! It's really you! It's so good to see you again!" Steven exclaimed. "Oh! Really?" Lapis smiled as I continued to hug her. "What's going on? I thought you'd be half way across the galaxy by now, aren't you scared of the Diamonds coming to attack?" Steven asked. "I got...distracted" Lapis said awkwardly. "By this orb thing? What is it?" Steven asked. "Promise you two won't judge me?" Lapis asked. "Why would I ever judge you?" I continued to hug her, my tears rolling down my cheeks. "I sleep with a teddy bear, no judgements" Steven said as Lapis gently touched the orb thing and it teleported us somewhere. "Beach City?! Please explain this to me!" Steven said. "This orb is a observation device. The Diamonds use them to watch activity on their colonies from afar" Lapis smiled sadly. "Wow! Can I try?!" Steven said excitedly. "Sure" Lapis said as Steven teleported us somewhere. "Woah! But Lapis, what are you using it for?" Steven asked as Lapis sighed and teleported us to the beach, where Peridot, Pearl, Garnet, Addie and Amethyst were. "You're spying on us?" I asked her, my arms wrapped around her. "Well I wouldn't call it spying, cause that would make me feel bad." Lapis shrugged. "Lapis" Steven and I sighed as I got up and stopped hugging Lapis. "I couldn't stand not knowing what was going on. I'm terrified of the Diamonds coming to Earth, but I got just outside the Milky Way and I felt so lonely" Lapis said. "So why didn't you just come back?" Steven asked. "I want to, I just- can't. Not after the way I left! What would Peridot say? What if the Diamonds show up? What if something bad happens?" Lapis asked. "Well what if something good happens?" Steven asked. Lapis laughed but turned away and sounded like she was crying. "Uh Lapis?" Steven asked. I quickly hugged her from behind and she looked back at me smiling sadly. She started to sing sadly and took my hands.
It all became so lovely
She let go of one hand to do a swishing movement with her hand.
Those bluest skies above me
Those funny feelings I had never felt before I met you
Lapis pointed at me with one hand as I laughed sadly. She started twirling me around slowly as she sung the next verse.
I thought I'd stay a while
I tried to learn to smile
So many colours I had never even known~
Maybe I'd find myself sitting on that distant shore
Maybe I'm not alone~
Lapis let go of my hands as she panicked and sank to the ground.
Then I see the colours fading
Gentleness of light escaping
Have I seen this all before?
I opened my mouth to speak but Lapis brought me close and put a finger over my soft lips.
I know!
That there's something residing
That terror deep inside me
I couldn't understand how you could be so bold
Maybe I'd find myself smiling on that distant shore
Maybe I'm not alone~
Lapis finished the song with me hugging her. "I get it. You can't come back. You're afraid and confused" I said as I felt a tear drop from her face. We sat down after a while, my head on Lapis' shoulder. "I might've overreacted, about the Diamonds " Lapis said. "You really think they're coming?" Steven asked. "I don't even know anymore. I've done so much because I am afraid. I left Peridot behind, I took the barn, and her morps" Lapis said sadly. "At least she has Pumpkin" Steven said as I laughed a little. "I was so sure the Diamonds would destroy my new home, that I destroyed it myself. It's like I'm back inside the mirror except I put myself there" Lapis said sadly. "The moon's not so bad" Steven said. "Are you kidding? The moon sucks! There's nothing here! Maybe I'm tired of running away. Maybe I'd rather be with everything in danger then be safe and alone" Lapis said. "We'd be glad to have you back" I smiled at her. "I don't know. If I went back now, there's no way things could go back to how they were" Lapis said. "Yeah but that's alright. It can just be different" Steven shrugged. "What do you mean?" Lapis asked. "Well what if you weren't way out in the country? You could drop the barn on the beach then we'd all be neighbours. I'd come over to borrow a cup of sugar and you'd be like what's that? " Steven said as we all laughed. "When you go back, we should all hang out more" Steven said, slowly falling asleep. "Hm, when I go back" Lapis smiled. Steven fell asleep as I looked at Lapis. "Please come back" I begged. "I don't know yet Opie" Lapis sighed. "But Peridot and I have really missed you the most! We really want you to come back, Crystal Gems or not" I buried my face into Lapis' shoulder as she smiled. Steven yelled as Lapis and I gasped. "Steven?! Are you okay?! Were you dreaming?" Lapis asked. "I saw the Diamonds" Steven said. "What? What are you talking about?" Lapis asked. "I dreamt about them , they were right in this room" Steven said as Lapis and I looked at each other. "What? What does that mean ? Are they coming?" Lapis asked. "I-I don't know" Steven said. "What if they are? What if they're close? Why else would you see them? Steven!" Lapis yelled. Lapis got up and went down the stairs, I quickly picked Steven up and Lapis opened the space door, Lion held onto Steven and Steven hung onto me. "Where are you going?" Steven yelled. "As far from Earth as I can. I'm leaving! You should get used to that by now" Lapis said as I started to cry. "You don't have to run Lapis just stay with us!" Steven yelled. "I don't know what I was thinking, I'm not like you and your friends Steven. I can't just let go of what happened to me! I can't go through that again" Lapis said. "Would you rather be alone?!" I yelled, tears streaming down my face. "I'm sorry" Lapis said, a tear rolling down her cheek. "Wait! Don't leave! Please! I know how you feel! We can work this out together!" I yelled, my tears making my sight blurry. Lapis flew away into the sky, not caring about me or Peridot or Steven. Lion dropped us and I looked at the ground, tears still flowing. "I'm sorry Opie" Steven hugged me. "Let's just get home" my voice cracked as I tried to not to cry. We both looked up at Pink Diamond's moral and looked at Steven. "Lion, I need you to take us to Pearl" Steven said.