4.3 Experiencing crushes.

- Having a crush is perfectly normal, I promise. Every one of us is different and that means we will all develop our first crush at a different age: it's okay if you begin to 'like' someone when you're very young but it's also okay if you don't 'like' someone until you're in adulthood. Please don't worry if you haven't had a crush yet, it doesn't make you weird or different.

- Sometimes it's really upsetting if you have a crush that doesn't reciprocate your feelings. That's okay, too. They can't choose who they find attractive, just like you can't.

- Don't feel like you have to tell anyone that you 'like' someone. It doesn't have to be something shared in the playground, or told to your best friends. A crush can be something just for you - someone for you to think about when you feel bad.

- Crushes can lead to nowhere (especially if you don't tell the person you 'like'). But crushes can also lead to a happy relationship! If you speak to the person you 'like' you might even discover they 'like' you back! If you're planning to tell your crush you like them, make sure you have no expectations and don't expect anything in return!

- If you feel like having a crush on someone is making you feel bad in any way, try to stay away from them. Just like relationships, crushes can be toxic, too. Always prioritize your mental health and try not to let them rule your life.

- Don't try to convince yourself that you 'like' someone! Even if they approached you first, or other people are trying to get you together, you aren't obligated to take things any further than you want to!

- If you want to tell someone you 'like' them, the best thing you can be is straight-up and honest with them. It's probably best to speak to them directly so something you want to say isn't missed out. Your crush won't judge you for liking them - they'll probably take it as a compliment! If your crush needs it, give them some time to process what you've told them.

- If you're struggling to behave normally around your crush (especially if you're already friends), it might be worth taking a step back and keeping your distance while you process how you feel about them.