2.35 Coping with self-harm.

Self harm alternatives

1. Fidgeting.

Something that I personally have found useful is folding pieces of paper over and over again or tearing paper up. Fiddling with rubber bands, buttons, or any other small objects can also work.

2. Reading/listening to music.

Reading books is a great way to distract yourself from negative thoughts, as it gives you something to focus on. If you like music, that can also work just as well. It might even be a good idea to make/find a playlist that you can easily listen to whenever you want.

3. Drawing.

If you have any spare paper, writing or drawing is a good way to deal with your thoughts. It doesn't have to be any perfect masterpiece, just doing something with your thoughts is the important part.

4. Drawing on skin.

Instead of doing anything harmful to your skin, you can draw on it. You can draw whatever you like; such as flowers, butterflies, symbols, or maybe small pieces of text? Just make sure that you're drawing on healthy skin with markers that are safe.

5. Bandages.

Another thing that you can do is putting plasters or bandages on your skin. It can also help to prevent you from harming yourself in the future.

6. Talking to someone.

If it's possible, you can call or text one of your friends. If that's not possible, maybe your Internet friends will be able to talk? It can be a great way to distract yourself from negative thoughts.

7. Think about reasons to not do it.

There are many good things in life, and people who care about you. Your friends, family, or your pets if you have any? No matter how much you feel like you are alone, I promise that there is someone out there who doesn't want you to do it.

8. Using ice.

Sometimes placing a piece of ice (or something else safe and cold) which numbs the area you want to cut or hurt. Please be careful when you do this - its best to wrap the ice in a plastic bag or some kitchen roll.