Chapter Ten: The Day Before Truth

Skylar's POV

The day of the Nightshade's gathering was approaching and it was only a day away. No one had seen Angelique, her friends, Calia, and Brittany since the incident a few day ago, my dad refused to tell me what happened tot hem. Currently my whole pack and the Bluemoon pack had just arrived on the island, called the Empress Keeps, and was currently staring in shock. Although I had met the Nightshade's alphas before, I had never ventured to the heart of their vast territory. The island was huge, but apparently invisible to the human eye since it doesn't even appear on the satellite map, lush with nature and yet a large town can clearly be seen to flourish on the island. Our escort from the Nightshade pack had told us that no outside is able to approach the island without permission, making it the perfect sanctuary for Weres and other 'supernaturals'. So far I'd seen members from four different pack and there was also the fact that there were also vampires and witches on the island. Once everyone stepped off the plane that we arrived in, we were instructed to follow our escort to the pack house. To my surprise, the pack house wasn't a large house or a mansion. It was more like a frickin palace that perched on top of a cliff, overseeing the view of the town. We followed our guide, who i discovered was James' cousin Joseph, in awed of the vastness of the Nightshade's territory. The inside of the palace was as impressive as its exterior, everything gleamed in the light filtering in through the large windows. Upon entering, we were greeted by none other than Damien and Dimitri, who told Joseph that we were to be placed in the west wing along with the Bluemoon pack and told us that we have two hours before dinner and that we were welcome to explore the island as long as there is no trouble. Afterward they left us to greet others who were arriving.

After finding my room and putting everything away, I decide to take a shower before dinner. I came out of the bathroom after my shower to find Kain and the other lounging in my room. Even the guest rooms were impressive, mine had a huge bathroom with a large tube and a shower that could fit at least five people and was stocked with everything i could ever need, plus a large walk in closet.

Kain looked up at my entrance and got on his feet.

"So do you want to come with us to explore before dinner? Since we have time before dinner and most of the adults had left with mom and dad."

I shrugged and nodded

"Sure, while were at it we could look for Angelique"

They agree and together we left my room only to realize that we don't know our way around. Looking around I spotted a girl who appears to be a Nightshade since she bears the pack's mark. We went up to her as she turned around at the sound our approach. To my surprise, It was Calia. However she seems different, more confident almost and stronger. I could only gawk at her and knew the others were the same. How did she became a Nightshade, let alone being important enough to bear their mark, when the Nightshade rarely allow new members into the rank or earning the right to bear their mark in such a short time.

"Can I help you?"

I was drawn back to reality by the sound of her voice.

"Calia? What happened to you? Why are you here? And as a Nightshade?"

Kain voice my thoughts exactly. Calia just smiled and replied.

"I've always been like this. My mother was from this pack and I had lived here for most of my life. When she died my father returned to his pack, taking me with him"

This time I spoke up before Kain

"Then why do his pack pick on you when you're part of the the Nightshades?"

At this, her face darkened with sorrow and anger.

"It's all Brittany's and her mother's fault. When my father died three years ago from heartbreak, they deemed me an outcast since no one knew who my mother was and I refused to live a life of lies if they discovered my true heritage. Id rather be alone and refused to fight back against those that are weaker than me. Although all will be revealed at the meeting"