Chapter 1

"Anna! Congrats, peach! So so proud of you!" Timothy, one of my best friends, pulls me in for a big hug, quite ruining the bouquet of sunflowers he brought for me.

Yes, sunflowers because I have a strong disapproval for roses and their mediocrity.

"Thank you, Timmy! Come on in. Mia's over there." I said with a smile, smelling the luxurious yet elegant fragrant coming from the sunshine bred flowers.

"Still growing 'em?" I asked him as we walked inside my house.

"Yup. Flowers are so expensive in Manhattan, it's scary." He laughs, as if he doesn't have an opening book shop in the same place.

"Amelia! How's it going, love?" Timothy gives Mia a hug and gave her a bouquet of flowers too, but hers are roses, of course.

"I'm doing great, how about you?" She asks with a smile as she smells the roses that he gave.

"I was doing so great then Anna texted me about the celebration for tonight." He explains, "Since then, I couldn't breathe properly." He kids around, poking my sides.

"I can't believe my best friend is going to be a published writer!" Timothy widely smiles at me and hugs me again, lifting me off the ground.

Laughter emitted from my mouth while seeing to it that I don't fall flat on the ground.

"Well, about to be." I laughed as Timothy puts me on the ground again, "But, gosh! I know! I'm still in shock!" I say, fake fainting in his arms.

We both laugh at our antics, until the doorbell rang again. I opened the door and on the other side of it was the other pair of friends of mine who were late for God knows why.

"It's quite surprising how y'all are late." I crossed my arms and smiled at them.

"I'm sorry darling! We have just GOT to get these strawberry jam-filled doughnuts for you because we know how you've been craving them since the day you saw them on your Instagram." Liv explains, handing me over two pink boxes.

"So we got you two dozens! To last for a week." Conan teases me, knowing I'd destroy these babies in a minute.

"Here, I bought you some cute stationary from Japan." He smiles and hands me a lavender paper bag.

I pouted, almost crying. "Oh, come on. It's not my birthday." I giggled.

Conan laughs, "Oh shut it. I know you've been wanting these for a long time." He says and pulls me in for a hug.

How can you not love friends, truly?

"Thanks, you guys." I tearfully said, making them laugh.

"Anytime, baby girl." Conan playfully winks at me, and rubs my arms comfortingly.

The day me and Mia moved to New York, we knew no one except for Timothy who studied at NYU while I studied at UCLA back in Los Angeles. It was horrifying not to have him during college, I barely survived. However, the soonest we arrived at New York, the Bennett sisters and Timothy explored New York and as we were passing through the Grand Central Station we met Liv Cosima and Conan Hearst.

I'm not gonna lie, the first time I saw them I thought they were a typical New York arguing couple in the middle of a crowd. Then I got to know them over a cup of coffee and a cone of ice cream after Timothy rudely interrupted their conversation to ask for directions as if he didn't live here for four years already.

Ever since then, the four of us have been friends for a year now.

"Group hug!" Timothy yells at the top of his lungs and joins the hug with my sister.

It's a happy family. We're a happy little family that I am eternally so grateful for.

"Oh, I apologize, were we interrupting something?"

A familiar voice entered the scene, and we were all caught off guard by it.

"Mr. Bingley! No, you weren't interrupting anything, we were just having a-" I stopped to think of an excuse, but he already understood the situation beforehand.

"Oh no, I understand. All of you are overjoyed, of course. It is a wonderful night to celebrate. Plus, it was really heartwarming seeing all of you." Mr. Bingley, the person responsible for my incomparable happiness today, warmly smiles at us, which was a huge relief. I thought he'd say that was highly unprofessional.

"Oh well then, come on in." I invited Mr. Bingley inside but I found myself quite surprise when he called out names I wasn't familiar of.

"James, Lucy come on!" He politely yelled at whoever that was.

"I'm so sorry, I hope you don't mind, I brought along my cousin and my sister with me." He informs me a little too late. I immediately got anxious, thinking about our food if it's enough for all eight of us.

"Oh, it's fine! Please call them in." I said and looked back at Mia giving her a nervous face.

"Ms. Bennett, meet my sister, Lucy Bingley." He introduces me to a woman who stood just the same height as me, but more petite. She has her red locks sleeked down in a ponytail; her eyes swimming in pools of honey as she gains eye contact with me.

"Good evening, it is a pleasure to finally meet you." Lucy smiles at me, pulling me in for a hug. "Same goes to you," I politely said.

"And this Anna, is Mr. Darcy." He announces a man who stood much taller than me. He wasn't smiling, nor frowning, his facial expression looked so neutral as if he wasn't interested in this dinner and was forced to go here.

It was an upsetting sight to look at in all honesty, but I didn't want to judge too quickly.

"Good evening Mr. Darcy, it's a pleasure to meet you." I smiled, shaking his hand.

He didn't even take a glance at me or even said anything back. He was gazing at my house, as if he was an inspector for houses. What a first impression.

I followed his actions the moment he turned his back on me and noticed that he was in a hurry. Then I saw him go to the sink, violently washing his hands. Realization hit me and I understood that it's like he was disgusted to even touch my hand. How dare he show that kind of poor attitude inside my house.

What a night that hasn't even begun yet.

I took a deep breath and decided to join them so we can already start the night that I already want to end. They were all sitting in the dining, already having a good time ahead of them.

Thank you, Mr. Darcy, for your wonderful presence that clearly was not needed to blow a hole in my energy.