Chapter 14

"Is he going to kill her?" I asked Thane, blinking up at him in complete shock. He was acting like he didn't just witness an Alpha and his Luna breaking each other's bones.

Thane did an awkward cough-laugh with an amused twinkle in his eyes. "They didn't go up there to fight, little one."

My mouth made an O-shape as I caught on to what he was implying.

I must have been blushing, but I suppose Thane decided to take pity on me and not comment on it.

"She killed so many people..." I whispered to Thane in a hushed tone as my arms tightened around him.

Thane winced. "Yes. It was necessary. I would have done the same."

"You don't get it, Thane. She killed the wolves like it was nothing. I saw her rip someone's heart out of their chest without hesitation," I insisted, not sure if he was quite grasping the severity of what I was trying to tell him.

"Ahh, yes. That is her go-to move," Thane said disinterestedly, and my mouth went agape. At my expression, he sighed. "Look, little one, I'm sorry you had to see that because I know violence upsets you, but I can't say I'm sorry it went down like that. I owe Ares immensely for all she's doing for us."

"All she's doing for us?" I questioned.

"Of course. She's the one training you for the challenge. That's why Cain is so on edge. He's leaving his mate here so she can train you," He explained.

I winced. Oh, frick. I really needed to catch my sexism better next time. I had assumed that Alpha Cain was the one who was here to train me.

"Don't worry," Thane tucked my hair behind my ear. "She won't be as rough with you as she was with Cain."

I was about to ask him if he was sure about that, because anyone who could break an Alpha's wrist and stab him without flinching surely has no boundaries, when a knock on the front door interrupted.

"Come in," Thane called out, and moved us to sit on one of the couches in the living room, orienting me so I was sitting up in his lap.

A small elderly man walked through the doors and approached us.

"Alpha, Luna," He murmured and ducked his head in submission. Technically, I wasn't the Luna (yet, hopefully), but I didn't have the heart to correct the old man. He was so cute and looked like a baby turtle.

"Onyx, this is the best pack healer in North America, Milton," Thane grinned at the old man, who returned a toothy smile.

"What do we have here?" Milton asked, inspecting my hands as he squinted. "Wolfsbane exposure? It doesn't look like it penetrated deep into the skin, so I'm assuming it was a low concentration? Perhaps in gas form?" Milton's warm, wrinkled hands were incredibly soft and felt nice, even on my tender flesh.

"Correct as always, Milton," Thane conformed. "What can you do about it?"

Milton made an unintelligible comment as he sorted through his leather bag. He pulled out a tiny mason jar with a green substance inside.

He opened the jar and rubbed a small amount on my hands. Instantly, the blisters began to shrink and the skin burned less.

"Very good then," Milton muttered with a smile. "Just put it on again at night and you'll be good as new, Luna."

I nodded and couldn't help but giggle at the cute little man. Strange, but adorable.

"Thank you, Milton. It was a pleasure as always," Thane nodded at him, and he scurried out of the door like a little mouse.