Chapter 23

I wasn't asleep when Gwen knocked on the door loudly. "Come on, Onyx! We have to start getting ready!" Thane, however, immediately bolted upright at the loud sound.

"She'll be out in a minute, Gwendolyn," Thane calla out, annoyed. "I'm going to kill Gwen one of these days if Cain doesn't beat me to it," He muttered irately.

"I heard that!" Gwen yelled back, but I could hear her walking away for the time being.

I got out of bed, but Thane stopped me, grabbing my hand. "Wait, there's something I want to give you."

I cock my head to the side as he leans over, reaching for something in the bedside table drawer. "Close your eyes," he instructs me, and I oblige. "Pull your hair up," and I do. I can feel him putting a necklace around me, my neck suddenly heavier. I open my eyes to see a large, sparkling, blue gemstone adorning my neck.

"Thane," I whisper, picking it up with my hand and admiring it. "This is too much... I can't accept this."

Thane smiled. "It looks lovely on you, Onyx. I had it handmade for you after I found you. I've been... waiting for the right time to give it to you."

"It's beautiful," I say breathlessly.

"Not nearly as beautiful as the person wearing it," Thane contradicts, placing a kiss along my collarbone, sending shocks through my body.

I throw my arms around his neck. "Thank you," I say as I kiss him.

He deepens the kiss, pulling me in, pressing me closer to him, and I can feel the outline of his muscular chest.

Another loud knock on the door interrupts us, and Thane groans. "The prospect of killing her looks better every day."

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

While Gwen wrestles with Ares hair, I can't help but admire the necklace Thane gifted me. When Gwen saw it, her mouth had dropped. "Maybe I should be going after Alphas instead of Betas," She remarked, which sent us into ab-splitting laughter.

"Hey Nyx, be a fear and hand me my purse, would you?" Gwen asks, and I nod, retrieving it for her. She rummaged through it before pulling out a bottle of alcohol, and I roll my eyes. Axel had been right when he called them alcoholics.

Gwen chugged from it, before handing it to Ares, who did the same. "Drink," Gwen ordered, handing me the bottle. I took it, but cringed. "Come on, Onyx! We're going out, should at least pre-game."

I groan, knowing she won't let me leave the house until my blood is replaced with alcohol. "For the record, I totally realize you're peer pressuring me into this," I say as I unscrew the cap.

Gwen grins evilly as I bring the bottle to my lips. I drink, and start coughing after I swallow the liquid that felt like it was burning a hole in my throat. "Thats terrible! Why would anyone voluntarily drink that?" I sputter.

Gwen snorts and says, "You'll find out soon enough, baby. Keep drinking, I'm watching you," She warns.

I roll my eyes, but keep drinking anyways, not appreciating the taste one bit. She was right though, after a few more swigs, drinking it became much easier, and I liked the warm feeling in my chest.