Chapter 22

My head smacked against the training floor, making my skull vibrate.

"Come on, Nyx, is that the best you can do?" Gwen antagonistically asked, proudly putting her foot on my chest.

I frowned. "I was just warming up."

Laughing, Gwen extended her hand out to me, which I accepted as she pulled me back up. "We've been training for an hour. I'm pretty sure that's enough warm-up time."

"Rematch," I scowled as I grabbed the back of my head and stretched out my neck, ignoring the throbbing in the back of my head.

"I'm almost starting to feel bad," Gwen teased, and I knew she really didn't.

We sank into fighting positions, and Gwen playfully snapped her canines at me, making me roll my eyes. Ares mindlinked me, telling me that her left side was unguarded and keep a solid defense while attacking her left. I nodded slightly in acknowledgement, and Gwen quickly I blocked it using form that Ares had taught me. I kicked at Gwen's left, hitting right at her rib cage. "Onyx! Ouch!" Gwen groaned, clutching her side. "I thought we were friends!"

I smiled, knowing that she had done the exact same to me in our first match. I went for her left again, but Gwen had changed her guarding focus to her left, and blocked it. She threw a punch at my face, which I ducked from, as her punches were much slower than the ones I had grown accustomed to receiving from Axel and Ares.

Deciding to adjust, I threw a punch to Gwen's right, and she doubled over in pain. Not wasting a minute of time, I tackled her, sending both of us crashing to the floor, Gwen underneath me. She struggled to get me off, but I was already on top of her and held her hands down. "Ha! Got you, you read headed demon!" I laughed in a combination of relief and excitement.

"Get off me, jerk, you broke one of my ribs. You totally owe me a drink after this," Gwen whined, the sore loser she is.

I laughed as I got off of the ground, smiling as Ares told me good job, and that I was making good progress. I could tell that Ares was pleased I was able to take down Gwen.

Gwen scowled at me as she looked at the dark bruise on her rib cage. I doubted anything was broken, she was just being a drama queen.

"Sitting during training? That's at least twenty laps," I heard Cain's voice from behind us, and the three of us whipped our heads to look at the Alpha.

Ares leapt off of her place on the floor, sprinting towards the Alpha. I don't know why, but I half-expected her to attack him, so I was surprised when she jumped into his arms, wrapping her arms and legs around her mate. Cain caught her effortlessly, chuckling slightly, a deep rumble that I was surprised came out from him, as he always seemed so stoic.

"Party's over," Gwen whispered to me, jerking her head towards the Alpha. I could hear him talking to her, but couldn't quite make out what was being said. Gwen must have been able to as we got closer, because she said, "Cain, don't you know it's rude to comment on a girl's weight?"

Cain rolled his eyes, but there was an amused twinkle in his eye. "Don't start with me Gwendolyn." He turned to me and formally said, "Onyx, it's nice to see you again."

I smiled and nodded respectfully. "Alpha Cain." He smiled back and wrapped his arms around his much smaller mate. "Let's go get some food in you, pup."

I was surprised that Ares didn't look mad that he called her a pup and she didn't look like she wanted to rip his head off. All of the times I heard the word being said in between Blue Moon members, it always sounded like an insult.

But if there was one thing in the world I didn't understand, it was the Blood Alpha and Luna.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••