Chapter 16

Without hesitating, Ares leapt at Axel and punched him squarely in the jaw. I flinched at the sound her fist connecting with his face made.

Even more unnerving: her face was aloof, as if she didn't just punch a Beta right in the head.

Axel growled and threw a punch back with such ferocity, I was sure that it would send her flying through the air. However, Ares sidestepped it as if Axel were a child.

The Beta's eyes darkened, and his canines descended as he said in a growly voice, "It's unfortunate for you that Cain isn't here to reprimand me for beating the crap out of his mate."

My jaw dropped. He just threatened the Blood Luna as if he were merely stating what the weather outside was like. Ares grinned in response. Despite grins usually looking friendly, hers just looked like she was dying to tear his throat out.

Axel sent a punch into her stomach, which the Luna blocked with ease. However, it looked like most of her force was concentrated on keeping his fist at bay, because she didn't do anything to stop him from kicking her ankle.

She fell to the ground, and her ankle was twisted at an angle that made me gag. The bone looked like it was nearly ready to break through the skin.

Despite the fact that Ares was clearly incapacitated, Axel was cruel in sitting on her torso, and reached to pin her arms down, as if she had any chance of getting back up.

Before he could restrain her arms, she swiftly poked his eyes with her fingers! I gasped as Axel groaned and immediately covered his eyes with his hands.

Ares used this as an opportunity to punch his chest, and despite the fact that the Beta looked the Hulk, the force from the punch pushed him off of her as if he were a rag doll.

Ares jumped off of the ground from her back and rebroke her ankle so that it was facing normally. Axel was still recovering from the assault on his eyes, and Ares kicked him in the ribs with her injured foot.

He stumbled over, and Ares put the nail in his coffin when she gently shoved him to the ground and pinned him.

Poor Axel groaned, "I'll get you next time, Ares. Count on it."

As Ares turned towards me, I was sure that I was as pale as a ghost. Watching the sheer brutality they used against each other was earth-shattering.

When she asked me what I learned, I told her that she fights dirty. I mean, who tries gauging out their Beta's eyeball during a friendly match of sparring?

Axel thanked me for taking his side inadvertently, but the Luna mindlinked me, It's not fighting dirty. It's using every weapon in your arsenal. You'd be stupid to think that in your battle, the female won't do whatever it takes to end you.

Her tone was so resolute it made my heart sink to the bottom of my stomach. She wasn't wrong. I had witnessed Brenna's cruelty firsthand and had no doubt she would enjoy destroying me.

The Luna held out a knife, which I took with much apprehension.

Let's spar. I want you to do whatever it takes to hurt me, she said, making my jaw drop once more.

First of all, I had seen the way she spars, and I quite happen to like my eyeballs being fully functional. Secondly, it wasn't fair for me to have a weapon when she didn't.

"Luna, with all due respect, I can't stab you," I mumbled. The last thing I need is the Blood Alpha putting my head on a stick.

No, you can't. But you should try, she ordered. Every word she spoke was factual, leaving no room for subjectivity or objections.