How to STOP comparing YOURSELF to OTHERS

1) Pay attention to how you view yourself

The first step in the process of changing how you view yourself is to become aware of your thoughts about yourself. Once you are consciously aware of a behavior that you’re looking to change, it becomes easier to break it down into attainable goals.

2) Assess your self-esteem.

 Self-esteem is how much you appreciate and like yourself, is how you evaluate yourself.
Ask yourself:
Do you have a pretty good opinion about yourself? Do you allow others to control the way you feel about yourself? If you find yourself looking to others to determine your self-esteem, this is a sign that you could work on your happiness.

 Ask yourself:Do you have a pretty good opinion about yourself? Do you allow others to control the way you feel about yourself? If you find yourself looking to others to determine your self-esteem, this is a sign that you could work on your happiness

3) Identify your comparative behaviors.

Comparative behavior happens when you compare yourself with other people, whether they are in superior or inferior positions to you. For example:

a) Positive behaviour is when you compare yourself to someone with qualities you admire. Rather than envying this person for his/her good quality (if she is the most caring person, for example, you strive to make yourself more caring)

b) Negative behaviour is when you compare yourself with someone who has something you want. For example, you are jealous of this person’s new car.

4) Write down the attitudes that are a direct result of comparing yourself to someone else

For example, you feel depressed because you are jealous of someone’s new car, and you still drive a 20-year-old car.
Attempt to write about a time in your life when you can remember not comparing yourself to others and begin journaling from there. Eventually, you may remember where your comparative thoughts originated.

5) Focus and appreaciate what you have.

Spend more of your time focusing on the positive and good in your life. 

6) Be kind to yourself. By being kinder and less harsh with yourself, you will encourage yourself to go the extra mile and to try harder.

7) Understand that you are in control of your life.

You make decisions that are best for you, not for anybody else. It doesn’t matter what other people do or have. You are the one that matters in the course of your life.

8) Realize that idealizing someone is unrealistic. 

We only focus on certain aspects of the person we idealize, and they become a grandiose fantasy that we create. We choose only to look at those features we idealize while we reject other characteristics that were not appealing to us.

9) Replace negative thoughts with positive ones. 

When you compare yourself with others, you may view yourself negatively

When you compare yourself with others, you may view yourself negatively. If you have negative thoughts about yourself, tell yourself to change those thoughts into something about yourself that you are proud of.

For example, if you know someone else who can write well, instead of envying her talents, think about your talents. Tell yourself, “I may not be the best writer, but I can draw very well. Besides, if I want to improve in writing, I can work towards this goal for myself instead of envying others for their talent."

10) State your goal. 

Achieving your goals will help you establish your life and set of experiences separate from others’ expectations. When you set a goal for yourself, track your progress so that you can see how you are moving toward that goal. This will help you focus on yourself and not on other people. If you see areas that you would like to improve, take classes, workshops or lessons to hone your skills and techniques. This will add to your self-confidence and help you find your place and value.

11) Compete against yourself. 

Many high achieving athletes and actors have said that they compete against themselves. They constantly try to improve their own personal best. This can help you elevate your self esteem as you see yourself achieving higher and higher goals.

12) Judge you by your standards. When you learn to use your standards to assess yourself, you will stop comparing yourself to others
Judge yourself by your standards, and not by anyone else’s standards.

13) Appreciate others instead of envying them.

Instead of envying their success, use their success to your advantage.

Start with small steps. This will help build your self-confidence in your abilities. When you surround yourself with supportive people, you will find that you improve your perception of yourself.

Reference:
WikiHow (2019) How To Stop Comparing Yourself To Others. Available at:
https://m.wikihow.com/Stop-Comparing-Yourself-to-Others?amp=1