Chapter 10: Why You Always Kick Me When I'm Down?

"But tell me why you gotta kick me when I'm down?; you better pray I don't get up this time around (ooh); and why you tryna put me in the ground?; don't you know I'm a seed? I won't stop at the roof; go ahead, bury me, this is how I grow, it's how I thrive (ooh)."

~Kyle's POV~

Tuesday

For the first time in so long, I didn't fall asleep at Cartman's after a fucked up get-together. Kenny suggested that we play spin the bottle more often before leaving Cartman's for the night. Everyone reacted to his idea in a weirded out way, but they agreed that they had fun "exploring", as Kenny put it. He probably intends to spice it up even more next time.

It was a little past six o'clock in the morning. I don't know why I wasn't able to fall back asleep, but that is what's going on right now. Cartman texted me a few times within the last few hours.

(3:31 am) Hey, you up?

(3:39 am) Wake up asshole

(3:53 am) I wanna talk to you, you douche

I sent him a quick reply before resting my head back against the pillow.

(6:07 am) Yes, fatass I'm up.

Within seconds, my phone buzzed. It wasn't a text message. Someone was actually calling me.

I picked up my phone from the nightstand and looked at the caller ID. "Sam..." I whispered.

With my now trembling thumb, I answered the call. "H-hey babe." I said quietly.

"Where the fuck were you last night!?" He yelled. Whenever he yelled at me, I would always jump in fear. I thought I had built up a tolerance for people yelling at me when Cartman and I constantly went at it. But I know Sam can do some serious physical damage to me. Compared to what Sam has done to me, I don't think anything Cartman did to me can level up to it.

"I was hanging out with friends." I said softly. I didn't want to yell because I know Sam will probably beat me again, and my parents and Ike were asleep.

"Who!? Was it Stan? That pervert Kenny!? CARTMAN!?" Sam screamed. "I swear if it was Cartman-"

"Sam, relax! I was just with some friends! Nothing happened! We played video games for a while and I came home!" I yelled softly. Sam was quiet for a second. Even though it didn't count as me yelling at him, I know for sure he's pissed.

Sam hung up the phone seconds later, making my phone automatically end the call. I let out a long sigh and started tearing up. It just makes no sense to me. Why the fuck does Sam hate me? I've been nothing but good to him and he just hates me.

My phone buzzed in my hand. A text from Cartman.

(6:13 am) Well, it's about fucking time, Jew. I was gunna ask if you wanted to take a late-night drive with me, but it's too late now.

A late-night drive? What the hell?

(6:14 am) Getting ready. I'll be there in ten.

(6:14 am) Oh...uh ok then.

I don't know why I suddenly became eager to hang out with Cartman. I noticed he hasn't really been treating me like crap lately. Yeah, he still calls me a jew, a kike, douche, asshole - whatever. That's kind of our thing. But I know somewhere in the deepest depths of his heart he doesn't hate me. At least not anymore. He changed a lot once we hit high school. He became more laid back on the insults and the crazy shit. I don't think he's started up any new cults lately. The only insults he'd shoot are the insults that started growing stale on us a long time ago. Poor kid, Jew, kike, hippie, etc.

After a quick jump in the shower, I threw a long-sleeved white shirt underneath my orange jacket with a pair of black skinny jeans. All of my blue pants are in the laundry.

A few minutes later, I started running toward Cartman's house. Just in case I didn't come back, I brought my backpack along. Since Cartman has a car, maybe he could drive the four of us to school. It doesn't make sense that he has a car and couldn't be bothered to drive himself there. Is he that lazy?

My phone buzzed in my pocket. As I continued running, I pulled it out and noticed a text from Sam. I felt my stomach drop so far down I started feeling sick. This can't be good.

(6:21 am) I just found out from your "super best friend" Stan that you guys were all hanging out last night! Why the fuck wouldn't you have the common decency to call me and invite me!? Stan's one of my friends too, asshole! Hell, we're on the same football team together! Since you were hanging with Stan, I can already assume you were with Kenny and that fucking Cartman!! We're going to chat at school today. Better be fucking ready to explain yourself!

After reading through the text, I found myself standing on Cartman's front yard with a queasy stomach. I can already feel my face paling up. Not because I'm at Cartman's house, but because of Sam.

We're going to chat at school today. Better be fucking ready to explain yourself!

There's no way he'll let me do that. Every time I try to "explain myself", he just beats me anyway. There'll be a day where he fucking kills me.

Cartman's bedroom light was on. He walked past the window a few times scrambling to get some clothes on. The detailing of his abs were displayed perfectly through the glass, making me wish I could touch them.

Ew, Kyle stop!

Cartman noticed my presence through the window and waved at me. I waved back and dug my hands into my pockets. Even with my mittens on I'm cold as fuck. Colorado needs to undergo global warming, or the removal of some mountains. Whatever's causing it to be cold as fuck here.

Cartman's front door opened and he had his keys in one hand. "Let's go." He called. I walked over to the passenger side and let myself in.

"So what'd you want to talk about?" I asked as I put my seatbelt on. Cartman did the same thing and ignited the engine.

"Last night." He answered suddenly.

"Remember this line that you crossed; look back and start at the dot; I know there's no way to fix us, no; oh, god, what the fuck have you done?; I loved you like daughters, I loved you like sons; so tell me, yeah tell me, why you gotta kick me when I'm down."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~