IX

In the midst of the black night, we have walked silently next to one another. I did not dare to look at him, since I was ashamed. Ashamed of my behaviour. My wet pullover in my hands.
A cold breeze gently touched my bare neck. I shivered.
" May I ask you something, Peter?" my mouth formed these words out of nowhere, though my brain did not participate in this.
" May I anticipate, Ava? You want to know what exactly happened around fifteen minutes ago and who Deaton is and why we will meet after I've brought you to your home, am I right?"
" Wrong. " I answered with a small smile. Peter Hale is not almighty after all.
" Wrong?" It appeared like he was surprised to hear this as well. He caught himself yet some moments after again and asked me: "What is it you want to know then?"
" Why does Deaton despise you?"

Peter was indeed a cocky jerk sometimes, on the other hand, behind this facade laid something much more complex and intriguing.

So why feel hatred towards him? What did he do to you, Deaton? What did you have to endure because of him?

My question blew Peter off guard.
" There is no particular reason I am aware of, Ava. Maybe it's because of my looks?"
" I'm serious about this Peter, Deaton does not seem to me as someone who could be jealous about physical appearance. I sense trust and warmth when he is around. "
Frankly, my first impression on this mysterious vet put him directly into the "wise-and-calm-category" if this made sense? A kind, wise, calm man.

" Oh and by the way, when you are finished I do want to know what happened fifteen minutes ago and who Deaton is and why you will meet after you've brought me to my home. " I added.
" Too many questions at once, darling. " He clicked disapprovingly with his tongue. Then, the very next moment, he came dangerously close to me. I wasn't even able to comprehend how quickly he had moved until his blue eyes stared right through me.
It's the first time I felt threatened by Peter. My heart started to pound anxiously.

" Just because we nearly had sex doesn't give you the right to interrogate me like a damn cop.
It's none of your business, understood? None, do I look like I would care about you anyhow?
No, so stop acting like we're a married couple. I had my fun with you, that's all. You were my toy, eventually the point is reached where I grew sick of you in this exact moment. 
You are useless to me now, Ava. So, leave me alone."

Woosh.
Did you hear this? Someone grabbed my shoulders and pushed me under water.

His voice grew louder and louder while he was speaking to me. No, it didn't resemble speaking, it was yelling. Peter aggressively yelled at me. However, his voice did not reach me.
It was too far away.
And the only response my body could give was a quiet: "Understood". I looked at the dark tar of the weakly lighted streets.

" Thank you for your honesty. " You are useless to me now, Ava.
With these words I stepped away from him. I tried to keep as much posture as a person of whom the heart was entwined with the cold fingers of life and abruptly squeezed afterwards could have.

It all felt unreal. Just like one of those scenes in a film where someone drowns in slow-motion.
The mind worked perfectly seeing every bit of the upcoming death, though the connection to the body shut off. No reaction. No feelings. Emptiness.
The only difference was that I did not sink to the bottom, instead I walked forward.
My body froze. Leave me alone
I hit the bottom. I stumbled.

The fingers of my free hand found their way to my palms. My nails tightly pressing against my skin causing me pain. This pain helped me to forget the upcoming sufferance because I was about to drown. I had my fun with you, that's all.

" Good evening, am I talking to Mrs. Mallory Banner?"

" No, I am her daughter. Ava Banner."

" Is there any chance to talk to your mother, Ms. Banner?"

" No, she is unavailable right now."

" Well, then. I still have to inform either of you. My name is Levi Brunski, head of the mental health facility Eichen House in Beacon Hills. I am calling you because Mr. Samael Banner has deceased last night due to suffocation caused by a string. "

" My father hung himself?"

" Yes. "

I unravelled the belt of the black coat Peter had given to me in the forest. My head turned to the side.
He still stood there looking at me with those cold eyes.
I only wore my bra. I quietly pulled on my beige pullover not caring if I fell ill.
It was cold outside.
It was cold inside.
I silently walked back to him. Leave me alone.  At the bottom of the water, I opened my eyes.
I saw nothing in this darkness.

My sight was blurry as I walked back to him. The black coat in my hands. I could still make out his figure in the exact same spot where he had been standing some minutes ago.
I handed him silently the coat which he accepted also without saying a word.
" It has never belonged to me", I mumbled emotionless.
" You are right. " He said back, "It never did. " I grew sick of you.

The water entered my mouth forcefully. With the fastest speed possible I tried to bring distance between him and me.
Allegedly, a pathetic escape to save myself. To save myself from drowning in the deep.
The water run through my trachea accelerating even more than it had before.
I coughed as hard as I could with the hope of spitting out the water in my body. No hopes.
It found its way into my lungs.
My body stumbled forward. Every step I took, every centimetre I took, got me away from Peter Hale.
I grabbed my throat tightly. My knees gave in. My body fell directly into the wet grass.
I couldn't see anything any more. I was scared.
Leave me alone. You are useless,  Ava.
" I am losing it. "
Understood.