Chapter 5

Now that I'm with Zane, everything about my life seems...a little better. In the two weeks since we've started dating, I've become a lot more focused on my schoolwork, I'm putting a lot more effort into my workouts, overall, I'm doing great. Zane seems a little brighter too. He still gets a bit nervous when he's around Josh's teammates, but he's talking to them a lot more and it's becoming easier for him to talk to them.

Zane and I keep our public displays of affection to a minimum, but I'm not afraid to give him a small kiss outside the finance department before he and I split up for morning classes. And surprisingly, no one seems to care whenever we kiss. The early days were the hardest, but as the days went by, it started becoming a lot easier.

I still haven't told my parents about this development, but I'm think I'm going to tell them when I head back home during Thanksgiving break. It'll be hard to do, but I need to tell them. But I'm not how they'll react when I tell that their only kid is gay. I really hope it doesn't end the same way it did for Zane.

We still haven't gone on a date yet, but that's about to change. I have a bit of a surprise for Zane, but I'm not sure he'll be too happy about it. I get back to the dorm rooms and knock on Zane's door. The door opens and while I'm expecting to meet a head of dark blue, black and white hair, I don't.

A head of dark purple hair with a few black streaks in it stands in the doorway. "Nice hair," I tell Zane.

He smiles and runs a hand over it. "Thanks. I just dyed it today. C'mon in." I walk into the room and Zane shuts the door behind him. I feel his arms warp around my waist and he presses himself against my back. "What's up?"

"My boyfriend's keeping me from moving, that's what's up." Zane laughs a bit and loosens his grip on me. I turn around and hold him around his shoulders and kiss him softly. "Do you have any plans tomorrow night?"

"Well, tomorrow's Saturday, so all I have work in the morning and early afternoon. But after that, I'm free. What did you have in mind?"

"You want to go on a date?"

Zane's eyebrows twitch up. "A date? I haven't gone on one in months, but yeah, I'd like to go out with you. Where were you planning on taking me?"

"Um...I'm not sure you'll like the location I picked."

Zane looks up at me in concern. "What is it?"

"Stanford Stadium."

Zane's face falls. "You're taking me to a sports game?" he asks dryly.

"I'm taking you to a football game. It should be a lot of fun. I've only been out to a few games, but this is the first game I've seen where Josh is starting."

"Eric, you know how I feel about being around jocks and sports."

"I know, Zane. But I want to help you change that part of you. Do you only not like sports because of what happened to you in high school?" Zane nods after a few seconds. "Then I want to show you how much fun a sports game can be. I managed to get us some seats five rows from the field and we can see all of the action up close."

"But what if...people treat us like shit because two gay guys are watching a football game?"

"They won't treat us any differently from the rest of the crowd. Everyone knows about Leo and Josh's relationship, and Leo goes to every home game and comes out without ever having someone yell at him or try to hurt him. Granted he could kick anyone's ass who tried to hurt him, but no one's ever tried to hurt him."

"I-I don't know..."

I pull Zane a little closer to me. "Please Zane? I promise if you don't have a good time, you can choose what our next date will be like and we can do what ever you want."