Chapter 17

Things are finally going my way now. I can draw again, I confronted my old bullies, Mom, Dad and I are closer than we've ever been, and I'm still together with Eric. I spend a lot of my time making up for the time I wasn't drawing by drawing nonstop, throwing every single idea I can come up with on a piece of paper.

Damien and I have been talking the last few days and it seems like he's taking this friend thing really well. He's talking to me like I'm a close friend and not an ex-boyfriend, which I really appreciate. Damien came out to his family after our reunion and they took it extremely well. Overall, things seem to be going Damien's way as well.

Unfortunately for me, spring break is just about to end and Eric and I need to head back to Stanford. Now that Mom and Dad are finally coming to school with me, it'll be like they're dropping me off for the first time, so things are going to get a bit emotional when we get back, which should be pretty soon.

Mom, Dad, Eric and I landed back in California about thirty-five minutes ago and are heading back to school. We're all a bit tired from the flight, but the limo is filled with various voices of animated conversation. I still find it amazing how much Mom and Dad are connecting with Eric. It's like he's part of the family.

After another ten minutes of driving, I see the limo drive onto the Stanford campus. I also see that people are watching the limo go by them with pure confusion in the faces. The limo pulls up in front of Florence Moore Hall and comes to a stop. The door opens and Sebastian stands in the doorway. "We've arrived," he says.

We all climb out of the limo and stretch out our arms and legs, which are still locked from the flight. Sebastian comes over with the suitcases and bags and starts pulling the various cardboard boxes we filled before we left Dallas. "You guys didn't need to get me so much stuff," I tell Mom and Dad.

"We just wanted to make sure you didn't run out of supplies," says Mom.

"Guys, this much stuff could last through the rest of college."

"But you go through sketchpads and pieces of charcoal so quickly that you would've run out in no time had we given you less," says Dad.

He's got a point. Ever since I got my gift back, I've filled up seven sketchpads and brought nine canvases to life. Guess my wrist is making up for lost time. "Hope my dorm room can fit all of this stuff," I say.

We all grab our stuff and a few boxes and make our way inside. The second we step inside, everyone that's already inside stops moving and stares at us. We already expected this. Only a few people know that Richard and Monica Mercer are my parents. So about 99% of the people on campus don't.

Mom and Dad look around at all the parents and students and just smile. "Don't mind us," says Dad. "We're just dropping our son off at college for the first time."

We continue toward the elevators, leaving the stunned crowd behind us, and ride up to the fourth floor. Passing a few doors, we approach my room and I unlock the door. While we expect to find the room empty, we find a bed filled with two (thankfully clothed) people, who pull their lips apart when they hear the door open.

Josh and Leo scramble to their feet and try to get their clothes straightened. "Um...you could've knocked, Zane," Leo tells me, wiping Josh's spit from his lips.

"And you could've left a sock on the door, Leo," I reply.

"Touché." He looks behind me and sees Mom and Dad. "Good to see you again, Mr. and Mrs. Mercer."

"You as well...Leo?" Mom guesses.

"That's me," he says. He snakes his arm around Josh's waist and pulls him over to him. "And I'm sure you remember Josh."