Chapter 20

It's two days later and the school year has finally ended for us. The last two days have been a complete blur for me. I can't get the thought of Zane crying out of my mind, begging me not to leave him in his sleep, and this pit in my stomach is only growing by the minute. I've been torn between the two choices in front of me.

Do I stay at Stanford and continue to be happy with Zane, Josh, Leo, the guys, and all the other friends I've made? Or do I go to the Giants and follow the dream I've been chasing since I was a kid that's finally within my reach? I'm so conflicted right now that I just want to pull my hair out and scream at the top of my lungs.

Well, now that the school year is over, everyone's heading home for summer break. That is everyone except me and the guys from the team. We're heading to Omaha for the College World Series. I really want to win this tournament for two reasons. One being that I want to win the title for Stanford. And two being I want to stay with the guys for as long as possible until I start with the Giants.

Right now, I'm packing up my bags with the remaining clothes I have. With a few more shirts stuffed into my bag, the room is now completely bare. Josh and Leo left for home a few hours ago and it was a heartfelt goodbye for us. I shipped the rest of my belongings over to my new apartment so they aren't stuck here after I leave.

Speaking of the apartment, the Giants gave it to it to me to live in that is close to AT&T Park so I can get to practice easily and it's already refurbished with furniture and kitchenware, so I don't need to bring anything besides my clothes and some of my belongings. I've already visited the apartment and I had a single thought when I first walked in: it's lonely.

I sigh audibly and zip my bags closed and grab them and my backpack. I take one more look around the room and walk out into the hallway and shut the door behind me, hearing it lock. The door next to mine opens and Zane walks out into the hallway with several bags of his own in his arms and hands.

He closes the door and I step over to him. "Here, I can carry a few of those," I say holding my hand out.

Zane smiles a bit before taking one of his bags and placing it in my hand. "Thanks," he quietly says.

"C'mon. I think the taxi is waiting downstairs to take us to the airport."

We walk over to the elevator and ride down to the ground floor. "Aren't you riding with the guys?" Zane asks me.

"I told them I'd meet them at the airport. I wanted to spend as much time with you as possible before you leave for Dallas."

Zane nods a bit before we step outside and find the taxi waiting for us. We load out bags in the trunk and slide into the back seat. We tell the taxi driver we're headed for SFO and he gives us a nod in response. The engine starts us and we're off to the airport. The back of the taxi is completely silent, neither myself nor Zane saying a word.

I reach over and lightly place my hand over Zane's. "How're you feeling about all this?" I ask.

"About what?" he asks.

"About me going to the Giants and us not being able to see each other as much."

"Eric, I've said this before. I'm really happy that you're going to the Major Leagues and you'll be playing next season and I couldn't be prouder of you. I'm going to support you the whole time you're with the Giants."

I place my second hand over Zane's and look him straight in the eye. "That didn't answer my question, Zane. I asked you how are you feeling about me leaving? How are you feeling about me not being able to see you in person every day?"