Chapter 8

After a nice and relaxing Thanksgiving weekend, I'm about ready to head back to school with Zane. We mostly spent the break with my parents, Travis and Brandon, catching up on missed time. Zane and I even managed to get together a few times for a little...private time, which was incredible for the both of us (nothing more than oral).

Two hours sitting of sitting on a plane later, we walk back onto campus together and quickly arrive back at Florence Moore Hall, both of us exhausted after the flight. "You want to go out on a date tonight?" I ask.

"Sounds good, but I'm going to need a nap. Sitting on a plane really takes a lot out of you."

"I hear you. How about we go out into the town tonight instead of staying on campus? There are a lot of great restaurants that we haven't tried yet that seem good."

"Choose whatever you want. I'll see you in a few hours."

Zane gives me a light kiss and walks into his dorm room. I walk into mine and find Josh sitting on his bed, his laptop in his lap. He hears me close the door and looks up. "Hey, Eric," he says. "How'd everything go with your parents?"

I set my stuff down by my desk and flop into my bed. "It didn't start out too well," I say. "My Dad kind of freaked out and called me a few choice words and almost slapped me."

Josh sets his laptop aside and looks over at me. "He what?"

"Don't worry. He and I had a talk the next day and he just reacted the way he did because he was afraid I would get hurt because of me being gay. My two friends from high school, Travis and Brandon, were pretty shocked when I told them I was gay and they kind of treated Zane like a piece of shit.

"They apologized afterword and now we're back to being friends again. Overall, it started with a shit storm and ended with a lot of apologies and acceptances."

Josh smiles at me. "That's good to hear, Eric. I'm happy that your friends and family have accepted you."

"Me too. What'd you do over the break?"

"Not much. Had Thanksgiving dinner with my family and spent a few days catching up with a few friends from high school. The usual."

I stifle a yawn. "I think I'm going to take a little nap," I say. "I'm taking Zane out to dinner tonight in town. Do you know any good restaurants?"

"Try 'Dawn.' It's an American restaurant that serves really good food and the atmosphere is pretty homey. It's a nice place."

"I'll make a reservation for 7:00 then."

"And I'll let you sleep." He gets up from his bed and starts putting on a pair of tennis shoes. "I'm meeting Leo at the campus café anyway. Have a good nap."

Josh walks out the door and closes it behind him. I start undressing and as I'm taking off my shirt I see something out the window that catches my eye. I walk over to the glass and look down at the ground. Standing behind a bush is a man who looks to be in his early thirties with a very high-powered camera in his hands.

I initially think he's taking pictures of the campus for a magazine or something, but he keeps the camera lens fixated on one spot: the window to the left of my own, Zane and Leo's dorm room. He puts his camera down and pulls out what appears to be a notepad and jostles down a few notes and walks out of sight.

What the hell was that? Still thinking about the man, I crawl into bed and make a quick call to Dawn and make a reservation for 7:00. The exhaustion from the flight starts to get to me and everything goes black.

I wake up about two hours later and see that it's quarter to six. Climbing out of bed, I slip on a pair of jeans and walk out to the hallway and knock on Zane and Leo's door. Zane opens the door, a sleepy look on his face. "Hey, Sleeping Beauty," I say.