Chapter 15

The cries of the Mercer's go on for over twenty minutes before they finally start to ease. Mr. and Mrs. Mercer slowly let go of Zane and everyone wipes their eyes a bit (including myself). "Are you okay, sweetie?" Mrs. Mercer asks Zane.

"I-I've been better, but I think I'll be fine."

"Please don't ever try and hurt yourself like that again," says Mr. Mercer. "Your mother and I have finally got you back and we don't want to lose you again."

"It won't happen again. This was entirely my fault and I..."

"This wasn't your fault in the least," says Mrs. Mercer.

"Absolutely," says Mr. Mercer. "We were the ones that scared you so much that you tried to do this to yourself."

"But I'm the one that put that knife to my wrists."

"Stop." The Mercer's all turn to me. "It doesn't matter who did what or who caused what. All that matters is that you all are a family again."

Their wet faces slowly smile at me. "Mom, Dad," says Zane to his parents, who look back at him. "This is my boyfriend Eric Swanson. He's the one that's helped me the most since I came out here to Stanford."

Mr. Mercer walks away from the bed and stands a few feet in front of me. "You've really helped my boy come out of his shell, haven't you?" he asks.

"Zane doesn't have a shell anymore," I say. "I may have helped him out of it, but he destroyed that shell and I don't think it's ever going to be repaired." Mr. Mercer smiles and he wraps his good arm around my chest and I return his hug. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you about Zane when you and I first me, Mr. Mercer."

"I understand why you did it. You were only trying to protect Zane, and you did. I should be thanking you for everything you've done for him."

"A thank you isn't necessary. Just knowing I've made Zane happy is a thank you enough."

Mr. Mercer releases me and reaches into his pocket and pulls out his cell phone. "Honey, cell phones aren't allowed in hospitals," says Mrs. Mercer.

"I just need to make a very quick call." Mr. Mercer taps the screen a few times before holding it to his ear. "Rob, it's Richard. Listen, do me a favor and clear both my and Monica's schedules for the next ten days. I don't care what we need to do. We can reschedule. Monica and I need to spend some quality time with my son and his boyfriend."

Feeling my mouth drop open, I look over at Zane and see two more streams of water sliding down his smiling face. "So please get that done and I'll hear from you again in ten days. Thank you."

Mr. Mercer hangs up his phone and walks over to his wife. "Monica, can I have your cell phone please?"

Mrs. Mercer digs inside her purse and produces her phone and hands it to her husband. He takes both phones and does something I never expected. Mr. Mercer raises both phones above his head and throws them to the tiled floor, both of them shattering into dozens of pieces and sending bits of glass and plastic around the room.

Mr. Mercer looks back at Zane and smiles. "Now it's just you, me, your mother, and Eric for the next ten days." Zane smiles brightly at his father and holds his arms out for a second time. Mr. Mercer steps over to his son and wraps his arm around him, hugging him softly and tenderly. "I missed you so much, buddy..."

"Even though I hated both you and Mom after you kicked me out, I couldn't help but miss both of you," Zane shakily says. "A small part of me wished you would just come after me and beg me to come back home with you. Looks like I'm finally going home..."