The Kidnapping

Dick was relieved when he finally sat down in his car. He felt like he'd been standing for forever. And he hadn't slept in a couple of days either, running on coffee and sheer force of will. What he needed right now was a warm bath and a night off.

But everyone knew that wasn't going to happen, Nightwing couldn't just take a night off, not in Blüdhaven. He turned the key in the ignition, hearing the steady rumble of the engine come to life and slowly came out of the police parking and joined the flow of traffic. Even at 10, the Blüdhaven streets did not quiet, gangs came out at night, looking to cause trouble. He didn't dare open his window, no one did, for worry that a stray stone might hit you. Better the paintwork than your life.

He let his thoughts wander on the journey home, wander to the ring hidden in his sock drawer. He had been waiting for the right moment to get it out, to slip it onto his beloved's finger. It was simple, the way they preferred it, just a band of silver with a red ruby cut almost like a ribbon, wrapping the outside and making it unique. They had their first kiss not that long ago, but Dick didn't suspect them of moving too fast, after all, they had almost grown up together. Maybe it was always meant to be, but they'd been too blind to see it. At least they knew now, at least Dick wasn't going to wait any longer. He'd been with his fair share, but this one was the right one. How would his family react? Jesus, he hadn't given any consideration to that. What would Bruce say? Would he even approve? Not that it overly mattered, disapproval wasn't going to stop him. Stop either of them.

He let his thoughts drift elsewhere, to the case he was working. Missing persons, Amelia and Lewis Dayton. Cause of disappearance, love affair gone wrong. Amelia has been happily married to Lewis for three years, but she had a side fling and Lewis was mad. Neighbours said they heard a fight, evidence suggested it got physical, both went missing the same night. Theory, he'd taken her to kill her. And covered his tracks well, as an officer there was only so much he could do, and he'd pushed every limit now. Two days later, the captain had sent him home, and here he was.

He pulled into the flat parking and into his usual space. Killing the engine he just sat there a moment, letting his mind clear. Imagine a box, place all your day job stress into that box, file it away until tomorrow morning. He let out a deep sigh and climbed out the car. A warm bath, just to de-stress, and then he'd head out. At least for an hour or two anyway, maybe not a full night. Not when he wasn't in peak performance conditions.

He fished his keys out of his pocket as he climbed the stairs, offering a friendly smile to the landlady, she always offered one back. Blüdhaven wasn't the most trustworthy place, but everyone knew Dick. Knew they could trust him. He placed his key in the lock, but paused. The door was already open. Something wasn't right, he always locked everything behind him. He pushed the door open, removing his gun from his holster. Flicking off the safety was almost instinct after so long as using it as a weapon against crime. And of course, the training from his significant other. He went on alert as he scanned the room, nothing out of place, nothing missing.

He moved silently, grateful he installed carpet instead of hard floor. He peered around the corner into his living room, the intruder present. Dick didn't put his weapon away, but he did let it lower to his side. There was no use for it. Yet.

The intruder was sat comfortably on his couch, as if it belonged to him, his own gun lay on the coffee table in front of him with his mask. A long sword was sheathed across his back, crossed with an automatic rifle to make an X, both just peeking out from over his armour clad shoulders. In his left hand he held a glass of water, his right resting lazily across the back of the couch. He didn't bother to look at Dick as he spoke.

"Helped myself to a drink, hope you don't mind."

"Not at all," Dick replied, "But would it be an intrusion to ask what you're doing here?"